Gearstick threads

Evening gentlemen,

Having been asked what I'd like for Christmas this year (and duly noted the howling laughter which accompanied my reply of "a Jaguar XK120") I have taken a gander at the TR, and fancied it might be time for a fellow to acquire himself a billet aluminium gearstick knob for the 3A.  :)

Firstly though, two questions :

1) Am I right in thinking the sidescreen TR gearstick's are 7/16 x 32 thread?  And . . . 

2) Before I have one shipped across the Atlantic, does anyone happen to know if this particular gear knob from Moss Motors is available this side of the pond? 

A Google through the usual UK suppliers seems to draw a blank. There are a few similar-ish styles available (mainly pear shaped), but none quite as tall and slim as this one.

TRalumgear1.thumb.jpg.1055c5895111e5c3ee6951e11282aee9.jpg

TRalumgear2.jpg.1d1e10c1e760c8cc537d7bd9cbea3dbd.jpg

As always, any help much appreciated,

Cheers, Deggers

That's one of Joe Alexander's products, Deggers.

https://gasketinnovations.com/product/alloy-shift-knob-triumph-tr3/

Joe notes his distributor network here:

https://gasketinnovations.com/international-distributors/

Yes, 7/16-32 thread.  An oddball.  You have a lock nut for the knob, yes?  It needs one of those to fix it in position.  Mark Macy used to sell modern replacements, but I don't see those on his site now and he mentioned a couple of months ago how much difficulty he was having to source hardware.

Yes 7/16” x 32 tpi  is the thread of an original sidescreen car gearstick.

Locknuts are available from Moss UK

Is this gearknob anodised?   If not you may well have a black palm of you gear stick hand in no time at all.  
I do have the correct tap and die set for the gear stick thread.

Item 582-626 gear knob is not listed on Moss UK site but 582-625 the alloy hand brake grip is .

Again is it anodised?

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/hand-brake-handle-grip-aluminum582-625.html

Peter W

FWIW I had for years a solid steel ball gear knob on my 4a and what I found was on long journeys the g/box heat would percolate up through the stick and the ball would get very hot in the end, just something to bear in mind as I suspect an ally one would do the same.

Stuart.

I have an OE rubber gearknob to copy.

Just done a quick calculation using Stainless 303 35 mm bar.

With material & manufacturing time. I could do a one off for about £50.

Yes 7/16” x 32 tpi  is the thread of an original sidescreen car gearstick.

Locknuts are available from Moss UK

Is this gearknob anodised?   If not you may well have a black palm of you gear stick hand in no time at all.  
I do have the correct tap and die set for the gear stick thread.

Peter W

On 11/11/2021 at 7:34 PM, Don H. said:

That's one of Joe Alexander's products, Deggers.

https://gasketinnovations.com/product/alloy-shift-knob-triumph-tr3/

Excellent, nice spot! Thanks Don. 

8 hours ago, stuart said:

I found on long journeys the g/box heat would percolate up through the stick and the ball would get very hot in the end, just something to bear in mind as I suspect an ally one would do the same.

Good to know, thanks Stuart. Might help keep the hands warm when I'm out and about in the 3A this winter! Well, one hand at least. :)

8 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Just done a quick calculation using Stainless 303 35 mm bar.

With material & manufacturing time. I could do a one off for about £50.

Peter W

This forum, honestly . . . ask and ye shall receive! Incredible.

Many thanks indeed for the offer Peter. You have a PM.

Cheers all, 

Deggers

Hi Deggers

Although as Peter says 7/16” x 32 tpi  is the thread of an original sidescreen car gearstick do check whether that is what you actually have.

After lots of research / trial and error (and wasted gear knobs!) i discovered that in the past someone had rethreaded my gear lever to 7/16” x 20 tpi BSC (British Cycle Thread) which is just about as obscure as you can get. BSC was used on cycle and motorbikes of the 1930-40s!

Miles

13 hours ago, MilesA said:

After lots of research / trial and error (and wasted gear knobs!) i discovered that in the past someone had rethreaded my gear lever to 7/16” x 20 tpi BSC (British Cycle Thread) which is just about as obscure as you can get.

Thanks Miles! 

One of the many "joys" of classic car ownership  . . .  undoing years of interesting, well intentioned, but sometimes downright unfathomable decisions of previous owners!  :rolleyes:

Peter, you have a PM.  

Cheers, Deggers

7/16" X 20 is also UNF  a bit less obscure,   & actually what I have on my (modified) TR3 gearstick.

This was done so that I could use a Saloon gear knob which had the overdrive switch built in.

In the event I did not use it, instead I now use the wooden knob with a TRiumph emblem in the top which I used to use in the 70's. 

It originally had a rubber insert, but I replaced it with a turned alloy insert, araldited in, & with a 7/16" UNF thread to match the modified gear stick.

Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

The commissioned gear stick knob in polished stainless to screw onto an original threaded sidescreen car gearstick is made, delivered and tested.

Please pm me if you are interested in one for your car,   Christmas delivery might be possible.

View of the knob fitted to the owners car.

8A2A5A58-078D-4B93-BB9A-7A7177F2C39C.jpeg

It weighs less than the die cast metal Triumph factory gearknob that has an overdrive switch fitted on the top.  As fitted GT6\Spitfire/Stag/Triumph Saloon & Estate range.   Also on MGB.

6 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

It weighs less than the die cast metal Triumph factory gearknob that has an overdrive switch fitted on the top.  As fitted GT6\Spitfire/Stag/Triumph Saloon & Estate range.   Also on MGB.

Not surprising as they are a big lump! Had one for years when I ran a manual series 1 XJ6.

Stuart.

Just now, stuart said:

Not surprising as they are a big lump! Had one for years when I ran a manual series 1 XJ6.

Stuart.

I lived with a borrowed XJ6 2.8 Auto.  for a while.  Struggled to get out of its own way.   Converted it to a manual choke and halved the fuel consumption.

9 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I lived with a borrowed XJ6 2.8 Auto.  for a while.  Struggled to get out of its own way.   Converted it to a manual choke and halved the fuel consumption.

They were a bit underpowered and if the auto choke wasnt setup right then they would guzzle fuel. I had a manual one for a while which wasnt too bad but ran out of steam fairly early as it was very low geared, My 4.2 had a 3.08 LSD diff in it so would do 25mpg all day long plus a theoretical top of 168MPH!

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
On 12/3/2021 at 4:07 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

The commissioned gear stick knob ... is made, delivered and tested.

Many thanks again Peter.

Fitted it just before setting off on a 200 mile round trip through Devon and Cornwall's highways and byways, and couldn't be happier with it.

What more can I say, get yours today! The perfect Christmas gift for the TR owner who has everything!  :)

Cheers, Deggers

TRgearshifterA.thumb.jpg.ab7a78e6977d504f6658b0bc92d43655.jpg

My TR2, which I owned in the 1960s, had a metal billet gear knob, identical to that which Peter has so beautifully produced.

I found that, with the short lever found on the sidescreen cars, I could make exceedingly rapid changes, especially from 2nd to 3rd, which required just a diagonal sweep of my hand.

TR4 lever is longer and gear change is more notchy, so one has to make that change as a 3-part move, which is slower.

Ian Cornish.

Hi Peter,

would you tell me diameter, length and angle by PM, please?

Only for my personal use. I want to make one for my 4A (not original but who cares?) from the dark wood of our walnut tree.

He had to go 2 years ago and not all of it should go in the stove?

Ciao, Marco

5 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi Peter,

would you tell me diameter, length and angle by PM, please?

Only for my personal use. I want to make one for my 4A (not original but who cares?) from the dark wood of our walnut tree.

He had to go 2 years ago and not all of it should go in the stove?

Ciao, Marco

PM sent