Upside down slave cylinder and 9.5mm throw

Thanks Les and Andy,

I wonder how they lock the threaded rod, there's nothing to stop it rotating and shortening,  I got Moss and Rimmers to measure from the outer domed end to the centre of the pin hole.

Both these can be ordered separately. 

Does anybody else have a spare rod to measure just for interest please?

I suppose just need now to measure a rod that is supplied with the cylinder complete.

John

1 hour ago, mhossack said:

Hi PodOne

Do you think the adjustable pushrod could adjust itself, I would not really expect it to as it only goes back and forward but it does move a lot, Loctite would cure that problem.

Mick.

Hi Mick

Think you're right it's never going to move once fitted loctite or not.

Andy

2 hours ago, mhossack said:

Hi PodOne

Do you think the adjustable pushrod could adjust itself, I would not really expect it to as it only goes back and forward but it does move a lot, Loctite would cure that problem.

Mick.

Or a locking nut.

Hi All,

Sorry to resurrect this, but I may still have a problem.

I have fitted my new 82mm master cylinder push rod but I can push it back 2mm before it connects with the piston.

It is as though the piston is not coming far enough down the bore of the cylinder to touch the push rod.

Can someone please confirm whether or not there should be this play (logic tells me there shouldn't). Surely the push rod should always be held tightly against the piston.

I have now removed the M/C and the piston taps out easily on the bench. The problem is that the spring and piston assembly is not long enough to reach to the end of the bore and touch the push rod.

If I re-insert the push rod there is a gap between the washer and the circlip of 1-2mm. This is allowing the push rod to move 2mm before it touches the end of the piston. A movement of 2mm here translates to maybe 20mm free movement of the clutch pedal before it moves the piston.

I don't know whether this is a general problem with TRW M/C. I have now ordered a Girling M/C as I can't see any other way to get round this problem other than unscrewing my push rod and inserting a second washer which seems a bit of a bodge.

Thanks

Les

Edited by Les Pettitt
update

Sorry I can't help cos fitted adjustable rods both ends. It does not sound right though.  Looking on the bright side, you probably have a new clutch plate in the car. Cos the TRW junk worked ok on my car for 7 years with a part worn plate. Only hit trouble after fitting new clutch.