Gearbox help

Hi to all haven’t posted for awhile got a bit bogged down on the bodywork but it’s  starting to come good now I’ve got a saloon box with a J type overdrive which I’ve started stripping I’ve got the dreaded circuit  off but I’m having trouble with the brass bush what am I doing wrong I tried heating it up and  it will not come off as you can see from the picture the flange that she shared off any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I’ll see if I can stick a few extra pictures as well kind regards Jon 

435FF034-3B0E-4D36-AD1D-64CFD9B8BBC9.jpeg

225E8F61-D28B-43FE-A849-29238D454006.jpeg

30 minutes ago, John h said:

Okay Chris I’ll have a go just wasn’t sure if there was a pin or something to my mind it should just slide off 

It should, but it has seized on the main-shaft.

As stated the trick is to split the side of the remaining bush along its length with a drill or Dremmel cutting disc and then it should release from the shaft.

Peter W

Pete cox and son had to cut this off as part of my rebuild. 

new versus cut off version. 

AD79F7A9-7A0F-473C-BD73-1AC01E806157.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Pete cox and son had to cut this off as part of my rebuild. 

new versus cut off version. 

AD79F7A9-7A0F-473C-BD73-1AC01E806157.jpeg

I was told the issue stems from the oil holes in the bush not aligning with the oil holes in the gears. Plus when the end float of the 2nd gear gets excessive the rim breaks off the top hat shaped bush.

No doubt someone with more knowledge can slam me down or nod in agreement.

My preference is the two part steel bush and washer like the Police spec 2.5PI & all Stags used.  Moss et al sell as 129939X  You cannot break the top hat rim/thrust washer part off as it is not attached to the main bush.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/bush-2nd-gear-uprated-129939x.html

image.png.5f761a9670b2c0e367e499b7e1d7be3a.png

Peter W

Peter W

10 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I was told the issue stems from the oil holes in the bush not aligning with the oil holes in the gears. Plus when the end float of the 2nd gear gets excessive the rim breaks off the top hat shaped bush.

No doubt someone with more knowledge can slam me down or nod in agreement.

My preference is the two part steel bush and washer like the Police spec 2.5PI & all Stags used.  Moss et al sell as 129939X  You cannot break the top hat rim/thrust washer part off as it is not attached to the main bush.

Peter W

Peter W

Are there any symptoms of the excessive play or broken off top hat section. I ask because my car (with 2000 box) is hard to get into 2nd when cold, but eases considerably when fully warmed up.

Ralph

41 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Are there any symptoms of the excessive play or broken off top hat section. I ask because my car (with 2000 box) is hard to get into 2nd when cold, but eases considerably when fully warmed up.

Ralph

Mine box issues started when 2nd acted like it lost synchro (it’s a tr6 box A type od) it later went bang. 
but I have abused it somewhat before that. 

2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Ralph

Mine is the same, but the "difficulty" can only really be caused by the synchro hub outer's being stiff to dislodge from the neutral position, or the gear selector ball / springs being too "notchy"  The gears located on those bushes are spinning all the time & don't move when you engage them, only the outer part of the synchro hub moves.

I put my "stiffness" down to it being a gearbox intended to be used with a much longer gear lever than my stubby TR3 one

Bob

Edited by Lebro

My car has a Stag box with the two piece 2nd gear bush.  When cold, engaging second is heavy but eases as the whole thing warms up.   The gearbox was a new original Triumph Stag box that I had a TR6 input shaft etc. fitted, so it would work in the TR3.

15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Peter W

Peter W

I recently rebuilt my TR4 gearbox, and found that that 2nd gear top hat bush was broken. It was a fairly clean break and the bush wasn't siezed. I replaced it with a 1 piece steel version (from ORS). Is there any advantage to the 2 part version?

Paul

Hi all got the bush off cut it in the end found out where the broken tooth came from That’s on the magnetic drain plug right down in the bottom of the gearbox on the lay shaft Fortunately a little while ago I bought a tr six box That was dismantled and there is a spare one in there so happy days start to look round for rebuild kit now any suggestions welcome I noticed that the moss second gear Bush  is out of stock hopefully they get that in shortly if so  i’ll get one thanks for your help and suggestions let you know How I get on regards John 

If you buy the Moss re-build kit it comes with cheap & nasty main ball races, & a lot of bits you won't need (for alternative versions of the box).  better to just buy the parts you need, & choose the (much) more expensive ball races.

Bob.