Rear View Mirror - Alternative

Hello, after fitting ROB I have a restricted rear view and my son-in-law who is 6'5" has even less, has anyone fitted a mirror as below, I think the the Healeys had them fitted, I don't want to drill the dash so any help appreciated, thanks, Andrew

Mirror1.jpg

Edited by AndrewMAshton

Better with the "E type" mirror arrangement, a plate and a bar between the centre dash plate and the original mirror mount on the top of the screen frame, the mirror can then be positioned anywhere up and down the bar. Youll get a better view as you can get it as high as possible.

Stuart.

Just in case you are thinking of attaching a mirror to the glass via glue, I had to do this method on my other car as there is very little surround. The mirror vibrates terribly so I suggest you don't.

I don't understand that Richard, most modern cars have had the mirror glued to the glass for the last few decades. What car do you have where the glass vibrates?

Pete

Edit - just noticed you have a Dax!

Edited by stillp
On 11/8/2021 at 4:14 PM, stillp said:

I don't understand that Richard, most modern cars have had the mirror glued to the glass for the last few decades. What car do you have where the glass vibrates?

Pete

Edit - just noticed you have a Dax!

I had to fit one of these https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/e-marked-black-plasticself-adhesive-interior-dipping-mirror-196mm

They vibrate at the ball joint so are totally useless.

Yes, Dax Rush 5l TVR V8 circa 320bhp.

Brooklands - 5.JPG

I had a sudden thought…..What do Caterham use?

For use with aeroscreens this came up.  https://caterhamparts.co.uk/other/300-mirror-centre-carbon-aeroscreen-including-stand.html    at £225.00!

image.jpeg.1c8355a6b52ced5a359c852ba5a1f1e4.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I solved this problem in my old Frogeye by fitting the 'mirror on a rod' from (in my case) the big Healeys as suggested above by Stuart. Worked brilliantly but it does need to be bolted at both ends 

As to the modern solution, try a VW UP! mirror, for a modern car, still in production it's very analogue and VW OEM quality. Simple glue (UV) to screen fixing with solid dip action and ageless styling 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363075179227?hash=item5488f792db:g:CLUAAOSwFmZfNVnb

Hello, thanks for the suggestions, I think I will try Stuarts suggestion first, I can fit a rod and mirror without making any irreversible mods, an aluminium block with a tapped hole at the appropriate angle at the top and an aluminium strip held in place by the window screen bolt at the bottom to hold the bottom of the bar, will post pics when finished, ally bar from ebay, mirror from Holdens, cheers, Andrew

Thank you for your alternatives. I am fully aware of the upstand versions and indeed other varients. However none are any good as they are too low so you do not get a view of the rear because the seats are in the way unless you have an ugly very tall upstand - you also have to have high back seats to pass the IVA test. Also the IVA dictates all mirror angles as well as compliant mirrors so you cannot just put one on from an old car.

Kit cars have for a good number of years (circa 20) been governed by first the SVA and now the IVA rules and huge manual one has to obey.

(I will agree that a vibrating mirror only conforms to the test when stationery but that is when it is tested!)

Note that a Dax Rush is not a Caterham and indeed is very different indeed. If you see the two side by side you will see and obviously go for a Rush - bigger, more 'haunchy', more engine options, etc, and usually called a se7en on steroids. Shame they are not available any more.

18 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

Thank you for your alternatives. I am fully aware of the upstand versions and indeed other varients. However none are any good as they are too low so you do not get a view of the rear because the seats are in the way unless you have an ugly very tall upstand - you also have to have high back seats to pass the IVA test. Also the IVA dictates all mirror angles as well as compliant mirrors so you cannot just put one on from an old car.

Kit cars have for a good number of years (circa 20) been governed by first the SVA and now the IVA rules and huge manual one has to obey.

(I will agree that a vibrating mirror only conforms to the test when stationery but that is when it is tested!)

Note that a Dax Rush is not a Caterham and indeed is very different indeed. If you see the two side by side you will see and obviously go for a Rush - bigger, more 'haunchy', more engine options, etc, and usually called a se7en on steroids. Shame they are not available any more.

If it vibrates at the ball then perhaps get it into the right plane for use and flow some superglue into the ball so it becomes permanently fixed may help.

Stuart.

Hi folks,

I never liked the lack of rear vision my tr6 with the standard mirror so I fitted one from a modern MGF. It blends in very well and is much wider.  It also has the added bonus of two map reading integrated map lights with individual switches which are great those late night rallies.  You fit it by sticking an alloy fitting to the windscreen with some clear silicone. The fitting is called a “slug” and was available new from Moss.  You need to trial fit to get the view right but we have used it for the last 5 or so years and it works great. 
cheers

tim