14 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

Thanks for all the replies. It looks as if I need a monitor to cover both CO and CO2 and we are hoping that we can find a warning unit that works well. I know how to buy one but what I am looking for is resounding approval from a current owner who is fully satisfied with the  monitor over a few years. It is useful to ask your friends on the TR forum who usually have no sales interest.

For CO detectors, Which? have tested quite a few. All the FireAngel and Kidde products they tested were recommended and/or best buys. There were no down-sides to any of those - they all worked. The only functional differences being that some were able to signal at multiple CO2 concentrations instead of just one "dangerous" level.

If you really want CO2 detection as well then I think you'll need to look at a separate "air quality" meter, there are loads of them on Amazon but I think it will be pot luck how well they actually work.

Nigel

CO2 and water vapour are the products of complete combustion of Natural gas (methane) CO is produced when it is burnt with a lack of oxygen, most boilers have room sealed cases with negative pressure so if the seal was faulty it would suck air from the room and out of the flue, everybody tends to fit CO Detectors next to a boiler and ignore the cooker and fire, ie if the chimney is blocked on a gasfire it will initially put CO2 into the room and then reburn this producing CO which is odourless so the CO Detector is the important alarm ...

Phil...