Surrey top screen capping

How are the durable dot studs fastened to the ends of the screen capping?

I have bought the studs and self tapping screws in Moss parts catalogue. The self tappers don't look like self tappers and the aluminium capping doesn't look strong enough to take a self tapper. Do I have to drill a hole in the windscreen frame?

Thanks Eddie 

3 hours ago, Eddie Trickett said:

How are the durable dot studs fastened to the ends of the screen capping?

I have bought the studs and self tapping screws in Moss parts catalogue. The self tappers don't look like self tappers and the aluminium capping doesn't look strong enough to take a self tapper. Do I have to drill a hole in the windscreen frame?

Thanks Eddie 

An original capping should have small"Wing" shaped ends to it that should go down over the ends of the frame, there is then a hole through into the frame and the stud riveted through so its solid against the frame. Unfortunately the repro cappings arent quite the right shape at the ends so you do have to fudge it a bit.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Yes you do, when you insert the rivet put a little bit of sealant round it to stop any water ingress.

Stuart.