TR4 engine cuts out briefly

Hi all, lately  Dixon ( my ex police car )  has begun to abruptly stop on tickover or very slow speed such as coming up to junction or lights.  If I'm quick enough blipping the throttle can prevent the stall and if I fail that test a restart is absolutely instantaneous. Goes and starts really well and am not aware of a misfire. Seems electrical but how to tell??? Points, plugs and condenser only 500 miles and six months old. Plugs 1,2 and 3 look smokey, exhaust blows no smoke. 

Probably running a bit rich but thats no explanation.  Comments and suggestions appreciated

Regards  John Mellor

3 hours ago, John Mellor said:

Hi all, lately  Dixon ( my ex police car )  has begun to abruptly stop on tickover or very slow speed such as coming up to junction or lights.  If I'm quick enough blipping the throttle can prevent the stall and if I fail that test a restart is absolutely instantaneous. Goes and starts really well and am not aware of a misfire. Seems electrical but how to tell??? Points, plugs and condenser only 500 miles and six months old. Plugs 1,2 and 3 look smokey, exhaust blows no smoke. 

Probably running a bit rich but thats no explanation.  Comments and suggestions appreciated

Regards  John Mellor

Hi John,

how old is the engine?

The plugs may look smokey (rich) due to oil by-passing the pistons. THis would lower the Octane rating and also mask a weak mixture.

A weak mixture could cause the engine to stop at low RPM. Despite the sooty plugs richen the carbs by one or two flats on the big nut underneath (SU's carbs)

Roger

1 hour ago, John L said:

Could it be worn throttle spindles, then shutting butterfly completely?  How low is your idle speed?

John

Good call, This is exactly what used to happen to my car with worn throttle spindles - rebushed and all was well

......... Andy

Hi all, thanks for suggestions. Answers to your questions; (1) engine rebuilt 10 years and 6000 miles ago by Neil Revington as a personal project( many of you may know the car , I'll add a pic ) (2) idlespeed around 900

(3) Can't believe it's running lean, it pulls like a steam train and it was running and starting so well when I bought it early this year I decided not to meddle with carbs (especially since it's been 40 years since I last did that with a colourtune plug - they still around? ). However will check static timing,try new condenser, then coil then enrich the mixture and finally look at throttle spindles.

IMG20210329163109.jpg

Addendum: coil or condenser should cause problems at normal running speed or at start up?? - or am I just 40 years too late to go back to a TR.  Lack of soot on 4 fits in with that cylinder running hot ?? I couldn't open blockdrain when I flushed and changed coolant and didn't want to break tap as I did on radiator so left it; I was going to poke around there to try and release crud which others say builds up and causes hot liner. Am I liable to do harm?

Sorry about the numpty lack of knowledge but haven't maintained my own cars for 30+ years and one does lose confidence as well as becoming increasingly aware of physical limitations bending over and under the car

stopping at idle could be a carburetor problem

dirt on the needle or suction chamber, if the needle is off centre

If the electrical check fails to solve the problem

Michael

how embarrasing, lifted the distributor cap to change condenser as per suggestions above;the nut on the post holding down connections from condenser was loose +++. My fault  I guess as it was me who changed points and condenser after buying the TR last March. 

However what to do about smokey plugs 1-3 - ?nothing as it runs and starts really well