Electric car incident

On 11/4/2021 at 11:40 AM, ianc said:

This morning, Maddy was driving along a clear and straight country road near Great Kimble when the car in front slowed from 50 mph and then, without any warning, stopped dead.

Maddy stopped behind it and went to ask if the driver was OK.

He was fuming because his electric machine had run out of charge - hence no warning lights (brakes, trafficators) when it stopped.

I wonder whether the hazard warning lights would operate in such an emergency?

What would happen in such a situation on one of these so-called Smart Motorways - at least on a petrol or diesel car with manual gearbox one could freewheel a reasonable distance and get the hazard warning lights going.

Ian Cornish

Friend had. Pacific rim Hyundai hybrid electric car and it stopped dead in the rh lane of the M4 where it is being (down/up) graded to a smart motorway.  The recovery people confirmed the battery was fully charged but there was a software issue on the model.
New name in the log book fixed that issue at the main dealer.

She bought a Tesla and hates it as most of the exterior camera lenses have now fogged up, and of course they cannot fix that over the internet with a software upgrade.  At least Daewo signed up with Halfords for dealer servicing.

Stick with mechanical things, they are usually mendable at the side of the road.

I agree.

I had a number electronic related incidents with a Peugeot 605 that came with a job in France. The cruise control would occasionally accelerate the car at full throttle, totally uncomanded. It was a 3L V6 so it went well. Hitting the brakes cancelled it. On other occasions the brake by wire system failed completely so no brakes and a very large red warning sign on the dashboard saying STOP lit up in red. The emergency foot operated brake worked quite well. The car was sent to the dealer numerous times, it was fitted with a laptop in the passenger footwell to log issues for several weeks, they changed ECUs, sensors but never got to root cause. The car was sold back to the dealer as it was dangerous. 3 months later we were contacted by a woman asking for copies of the car documentation. We said the originals were in the car. She explained that the car had caught fire and was completely destroyed. Bad car, bad dealer.

I love simple old cars.

Mick

"The emergency foot operated brake" - you mean, the brake pedal?    The middle one? Or are EV's without such primitive controls?

I've seen another report, of an EV, a Tesla it said, running out of juice in the exit lane of a multi-storage carpark, casusing immense angst among the drivers of of old-fashioned cars. stuck behind it.      When taken together with the report above of an EV just stopping on the road, when its batteries ran down, what warnings does the driver get that the battery is nearly exhausted?      Many EV owners, on a journey and noting a limited range, while frantically searching for a charge point, suffer severe "Range Anxiety", so are the drivers of the stranded vehicles the victim of faulty EVs, unobservant or half-witted?

The actions of many 'road-users' I encounter make me think the latter is the most probable.

John

As someone who had a Nissan Leaf for 18 months approx 6 years ago, I can assure you there are warnings galore about the state of charge, and range anxiety is very real. The Nissan was stated to have a range of 80 miles, but was more realistically 60 miles. I live approx 30 miles from London, but on my first drive into central London using it, I planned to get a recharge in a specific parking location, but when I arrived there, the charge facilities needed a subscriber card. I did not know that I needed such a thing, and so I called the number on the charger, and was told they could not allow me to use it, and I couldn't join over the phone. Only via their website. Driving back after the meeting I was attending, was a harrowing situation. I could see the charge dropping, but had no idea where a suitable charging location was. My wife, who was with me, searched for charging points and found one on the East direction of the M4 at Heston. I was driving West. I decided that I would chance the possibility that the West direction services might have one too. It did, but although the cable was plugged into the car, the charger would not start. I called the attached number and the person answering asked what the problem was. I explained and also pointed out that I had not been aware of the need to belong to a charging fraternity. At this point I had enough charge to go approx 13 miles with my home nearly 20 miles away. Fortunately the charging unit respondent was with a more flexible organisation and said he would activate the unit so I could charge the car. 30 minutes later at 80% charge I headed home. If that person had not activated the charger, the car could very well have cut out on the M4. Not because of me, but from the restrictions placed by the owners of the charging systems, and the very limited range of the Leaf.

TT

TT,

Google shows me many 'apps' that will discover your nearest charging point, "ZapMap", "MrCharger", "Chargepoint", "CarWow" etc.etc.    Aren't their names  exhaustingly energetic, darlings!     

When I can pay for a parking place by phone, without subscribing to the organisation, I agree that the attitude of the first you encountered was intolerable!     

John

17 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

TT,

Google shows me many 'apps' that will discover your nearest charging point, "ZapMap", "MrCharger", "Chargepoint", "CarWow" etc.etc.    Aren't their names  exhaustingly energetic, darlings!     

When I can pay for a parking place by phone, without subscribing to the organisation, I agree that the attitude of the first you encountered was intolerable!     

John

Hi John,

Yes, I think the attitude of the first organisation was decidedly unimpressive. As for Google showing charging locations, that is what my wife used, but we are talking 2014, and there were far fewer locations available. The Car was great to drive, and was a good family car, despite being uglier than a warthog. I had it as part of a special deal to test the performance of the grid with multiple EVs on the same phase. It cost me £100/month for the car.  I saved more than that by not using my normal daily vehicle, so it was a very worthwhile exercise, and included SSE providing me with a fast charger unit in my garage. Would I have another EV? Yes, but with a minimum of 250 miles on a charge.

TT

They need to sort out the charging nonsense before anything else. I don't need an 'app' or subscription to fill up with petrol, and electric should be no different.   

The production of green hydrogen from renewable energy is still in its infancy (less than 5% of all hydrogen) and not very efficient nor are small fuel cells. From renewable electricity to hydrogen and back to electricity is about 50% round trip efficiency according to one report I read recently. This would compare to 90-95% for Li-ion battery storage on the same round trip basis.

Mick

There were three different standards of high speed charging plug in the early days (Tesla, Nissan, CCS). Fortunately in Europe, CCS has now been adopted across all manufacturers for new cars and chargers. However, the need for different apps persists which is nonsense. Should all be contactless via card or phone as the cost is relatively low.

Mick

1 hour ago, chrismitchell said:

Compatibilty issues around chargers and connecting cables are a joke. Can you imagine buying a car thaf will only run on Esso?  Or carrying a bootfull of hoses so you have the right one to connect your car to the pump?

Well, look at the furore about E10 fuel!   People searching for the right sort of  pump.

I have a question about electric cars. Here in BC there are several hundred cars with occupants trapped for days by landslides and washed out roads. A petrol or diesel car can idle for hours or days and if necessary can be refuelled relatively easy by emergency crews. How long can an EV be expected to keep the occupants warm?

Cheers

Graeme

Interesting question Graeme.  let's say 500W of heat will keep the chill off, then a fully-charged 80kWh battery will give that for 160 hours. If it was down to the last 10kWh of charge then 20 hours.   That is providing you can run the heater alone on a battery vehicle.  No chance of recharging it though. 

Graeme,

The only way an ICE car can keep its occupant woarm is running the engine.    In a sudden snow fall in Montreal in 2017, three people were found DEAD in their cars, with the engines running, killed by carbon monoxide poisoning (see:  https://www.healthing.ca/news/local-news/beware-of-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-when-clearing-snow-fromcars/wcm/6656caac-0e7a-4ec1-9859-842a0f4d8690/ and of course a flooded car won't run.   Neither will an EV, but either type trapped behind rockfalls could, as Rob describes.     Electric heating is almost 100% efficient, almost ALL the energy is converted to heat, unlike an ICE engine where only 60% comes out as heat, the rest in noise, vibration and....oh, yes, movement!

In the UK, bad weather is, just as in North America, more likely to the North and in Scotland the Government publishes advice to HGV drivers, who are morelikley perhaps to press on in the face of a storm as they have schedules to keep.   https://www.transport.gov.scot/media/14266/bad_weather_driving_guide.pdf   Page 35 includes the following check list, whioch I would recommend, rthaer than running your engine

•    Warm jacket
•    Gloves and hat
•    Winter boots
•    Spare clothing
•    Bottles of water
•    Extra food and a flask of warm drink
•    A blanket
•    Mobile phone and charger

But resistive electric heating is not the only fruit.   Many EVs have heat pumps, whch are used to warm up the battery in cold conditions, as then they are most inefficient.   Rather like a choke!     But the heat pump may also be used to warm the interior.    This man did a test of his two Teslas (!) one with and one without an interior heat pump, and over three hours of maintaining a cabin temperature in frosty Norway, the heat pump-equipped Tesla had lost 3% of battery charge, whilst the older Model 3 lost 10%.   

Edited by john.r.davies
30 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

In the UK, bad weather is, just as in North America, more likely to the North and in Scotland the Government publishes advice to HGV drivers, who are morelikley perhaps to press on in the face of a storm as they have schedules to keep.   https://www.transport.gov.scot/media/14266/bad_weather_driving_guide.pdf   Page 35 includes the following check list, whioch I would recommend, rthaer than running your engine

•    Warm jacket
•    Gloves and hat
•    Winter boots
•    Spare clothing
•    Bottles of water
•    Extra food and a flask of warm drink
•    A blanket
•    Mobile phone and charger

HGV with sleepers have night heaters built in that dont require the engine running.They run off the trucks Diesel supply.

Stuart.

Here is a nonsense about Teslas not working without an internet app:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59357306

What on earth is wrong with designers if they do this sort of thing? 

Edited by RobH

In the article one driver says:

"I'm stuck an hour away from home because I normally use my phone to start my car.”

I bet he thought he was so cool when he first showed that trick to his friends .

Some years ago I had to use my starting handle to start my TR. in a petrol station.

A group of kids in a Ford Fester stopped and started laughing at this silly old fool with his starting handle.

I just smiled and thought…

“One day…. You will have a flat battery….And what will you do?...I guess you will have to call your mum…”

Charlie.

In an "old-fashioned" petrol or diesel car, as long as there's near 12 volts on the ignition circuit, one can bump start a car quite easily - perhaps with a couple of people to push.  I believe that modern petrol/diesel cars should not be bump-started, but have never discovered the reason.

I recall bump-starting a bog-standard TR4 on level ground on my own on a number of occasions - and I am less than 10 stones.

Back in the winter of 1965, I was based in Stafford and can recall starting my TR2 on the handle each morning - quite difficult as the grassy ground was covered in snow and ice!  Just a few turns to pump fuel to the carbs, then pull choke right out and on the 3rd heave, it would roar into life, with the poor old knackered big ends rattling like nobody's business until I got the door open and pushed the choke back to half way.

Ian Cornish