Standard exhaust system.

I am looking at changing my exhaust system on my TR5 from a single big bore single pipe sports system to a standard twin pipe cross box system. My current e/system uses a 6-2-1 extractor manifold. I would like a quiet good quality s/steel system which I will connect to my original cast iron manifold. Any body recommend which make and a supplier to purchase one from.

Mike - why change your exhaust manifold which is clearly a good one - that doesn't really affect the loudness of the end result - TR Shop would be my suggestion to go to, as I'm sure they have adapter pieces to mate your existing manifold to a standard twin pipe S/S cross box system - they did that for me to mate my Phoenix manifold to a standard system, albeit on a 4 pot set up.

Alternatively, they also sell good quality S/S systems, standard and performance, at good prices. 

Cheers Rich

Edited by rcreweread
info omission

Thanks for your comments Rich. Yes I was thinking of just adding a new system to my extractor manifold. As its CP7 I was just thinking I'd change back to a complete standard system for the purists, not as I'm bothered if anybody knows my car. The main reason is to cut down the noise and under bonnet heat + better access to starter etc.  My main ask is a good quality/quiet, system Phoenix ?

Is this a TT1200 type extractor? I had one and replaced it with the standard cast iron manifold. Before and after rolling road sessions, with no other mods, showed how the TT1200 was designed to maximise high-RPM torque/BHP. My car became so much more fun to drive after the "downgrade". Much better torque at lower RPM. Standard cam, btw. I have become very sceptical of claims made for extractor manifolds. In combination with gas-flowing etc, or for racing, I accept the potential benefit. But for a standard road car? Not so much. Full transparency, I haven't had the luxury of putting a Phoenix 6-3-1 onto my car and testing on a rolling road, but that's on the list. Mind you, I now have what I think you guys would call a Stage 2 head, so that may even not be in any way definitive.

I now run a standard exhaust system from manifold to tailpipes. My car sounds, to me at least, like it should. I used to have a 2 1/2" single tailpipe and got self-conscious about the loud pedal. Now I'm happy to play. And the work on the head was worth every cent. BTW, in my experience, mild steel sounds better than stainless (is it thicker gauge?), but I've gone with ss for the longevity.

John

Edited by JohnC

I concur the original mild steel exhaust has the most evocative sound when fitter to the 6 pot engines.

Personally I would fit a high torque starter and not worry about access with the manifold.

I would also wrap the stainless sports manifold to reduce under bonnet heat. (Don't wrap a cast iron or mild steel one)