Propshaft UJ's

Just a quick question regarding the forks  on the ends of a prop-shaft (or drive-shaft) into which the UJ bearings fit - I wonder are they typically cast or forged.?  

Certainly it never used to be uncommon to cut a driveshaft to alter its length when building a special, and the forked ends are welded on, which would imply they are a forging.  

I ask because a friend with a Triumph Spitfire made a mistake when pressing the old UJ out.  He caught the fork in the hydraulic press and bent one fork inwards just a mm or two, so that the circlip will now not fit.  He is trying to open the forks up again, using a fine bolt with a nut as a jack,  so I pose the question are those forks forged or cast ?   If it's cast then it's very unlikely to have moved that much (and back again) without cracking ..even if not readily visible.   If it's a forging then it will probably straighten but whether bearing alignment will still be good is another matter.  

Personally I'd scrap that piece and look for another, but what's your thoughts ?

Thanks, Pete

What is he jacking it against? If it's the other ear of the fork he is likely to end up with the whole thing off-axis by a fraction, and so the shaft will rotate slightly eccentrically. Not a good plan I would have thought. 

They will be cast steel rather than cast iron. They will have a slight bit of flex to them but not much. Once a yoke is damaged in anyway i would replace it (I work on agricultural and construction equipment). You’ll struggle to align it correctly and it will wear the bearings and prove difficult to reassemble.

Thanks Gents..

On 11/3/2021 at 8:29 PM, harlequin said:

Hi Pete

If your friend takes his propshaft along to a propshaft supplier (most big towns have one) they will fit a new yoke and balance the shaft for not a lot of money.

George 

I didn't know of that being done  ..mind you out here in Suffolk we might not have a propshaft supplier !  Still I'll mention it to him.

Cheers, Pete

Edited by Bfg

I used the "jack" method to unbend a yoke arm  maybe 2 mm.  I was concerned, but didn't seem to have much to lose by trying.  After the process, I couldn't measure any difference between the repaired yoke and an undamaged one.  UJ went in fine.

Ed

SDC12102a.JPG

SDC12103a.JPG

Edited by ed_h

Thanks Ed.,  As Bob says neat tool.  My friend with the Spitfire has similarly prised his apart again using a fine thread through and a nut with large washer against the inside of face of each fork. Your locating collars are a nice touch though and easy enough to home-make if one has a lathe.   Anyway he tells me that his new UJ bearings are in, and the circlip is sitting securely in its groove. He'll try it and see.

Cheers, Pete