TR6 body numbers.

David, it depends on whether its a CC or CF series model and how close to the beginning of the series it is, as the "body in white" number didn't take account of the break in commission numbers between say a 1973 CF series which ended at CF11577U and a 1974 model which started at CF12501U whereas the " trim body number" did. let me know which model you have or indeed the commission number and I can provide the numbers to be expected.

cheers

Derek   

Thanks Derek. The car came as a 1971 car with a commission plate almost unreadable. The car itself is a 1975 vehicle with a US second commission number attached to the windscreen frame of CF388880U0. Engine number is CF 39013UE, body numbers are 35500CF and 33566CF. I haven't registered the car yet and may go to the reading room at Gaydon to get more information. I would be very grateful for your comments.

Best regards,

David

Hi David,

Many thanks for the numbers. I think you've maybe included an extra 8 in the commission number and assumimg you have and looking at other TR6 in our database close to CF38880UO you have a matching numbers 1975 model TR6 with the two body numbers in the right ballpark to each other and in the right relationship to other adjacent TR6. When you do restore it body number 35500CF shoud be painted over as that is the body in white number and the other 33566CF which is the Trim Body number should be unpainted. You mention a commission plate if you look closely at that there should be two other numbers stamped on it and these will give you the original colour and original trim. As an example 82 is Carmine Red and 11 is black trim. 

If you are planning a visit to the reading room at Gaydon make sure that you give them a call a few weeks before your visit to book a slot as they are pretty busy. I went two weeks ago and had to book it two weeks prior to that as they were fully booked up in the interim period.

best regards

Derek

Just an add in here for those reading and not understanding what 'body in white' (BIW) means.

That is the term used in the factory for an unpainted body shell. The BIW number was of course attached to the shell on the body build track prior to any paint process to identify it, hence we see them on cars painted over with body colour.

Hi Derek, many thanks for that. You're right I did add an extra 8 on the Vin number. My problem now is that the Vin plate that came with the car doesn't relate to it as the Nova document contains the number CC66295L which is a 1971 number. As there is so much evidence that the car is a 1975 complete with raised front bumpers with cut-outs etc I would like to register it as a 1975 car. Any thoughts?

Best regards,

David

3 minutes ago, David Patrick said:

Hi Derek, many thanks for that. You're right I did add an extra 8 on the Vin number. My problem now is that the Vin plate that came with the car doesn't relate to it as the Nova document contains the number CC66295L which is a 1971 number. As there is so much evidence that the car is a 1975 complete with raised front bumpers with cut-outs etc I would like to register it as a 1975 car. Any thoughts?

Best regards,

David

Good luck with that as its the Nova number that counts for imports or always used to.

Stuart.