One taillight doesn't want to work...

I ran an earthing wire connected to all of the bulb holders in the rear light clusters this was then run to the front of the car where it is connected to the battery earthing point. On the way to the front it is also connected to the fuel tank.

This has resolved all of the odd little problems that have occurred with the rear lights over the years, especially now that I use LED bulbs that seem to be more reliant on a good earth.

George 

I agree that it’s probably earthing.

i added an earth bus in the boot, connected by a low resistance wire to battery -ve

the lamp bulb holders are quite easily modified to add an earth wire :

post-9473-0-17170100-1525246370_thumb.jpeg

"it slightly dims the other taillight" that's generally an indication of an earth problem, Clean the socket's earth to bare metal. If you haven't got this already- I have separate & direct earths for every light plug. Earth's are the curse of everything stamped "Lucas".