Spin on oil filter configuration

Hi All, 

Oil exchanged and ready for the winter nap (the TR, not me)

This is the opportunity to convert to a spin on oil filter.

Can this be recommended ? Any experience, input appreciated before pressing the order button....

Thanks

Oliver

Hi Bob, This is scaring..

I  think I will just stick to the old and original one and not go for any risk.

Thanks for sharing this with me!

Regards

Oliver

54 minutes ago, Moliver said:

This is the one I would get:

https://www.limora.com/de/oelfilteradapter-115507.html

Is this still the model you have experienced the problem ?

Hard to tell. without examining it.

The problem ones have an inner cylinder which is a close fit inside the outer part, but can slide. The inner part is clamped to the original oil filter fitting, but the outer is loose until the filter is screwed up to it, when it then has to seal to the rubber ring in the original fitting. Every time the filter is changed that outer part comes loose, & can (will) turn, so will not seat on the top rubber ring in the same place. this is where they leak from.

Bob

I have one of the newer spin-on adapters..... I have had a nagging drip between the adaptor and the housing despite renewing  the two seals as well as the filter at each change and ensuring all was flat/clean and tight.

I just need to find the old housing that I put away in a safe place (hmmmm, perhaps too safe :) ) and I will be reverting to the canister type I think.

....... Andy 

29 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

I bought one from Moss. It leaks if not tightened carefully. I use the K&N filters as they are supposed to include an anti-drain valve. 

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian, Any source link ?

I have a Moss-suppled one which I fitted around ten years ago Oliver.  I don't remember the details now but it must be the one-piece type as it doesn't come loose when the canister is changed. I've had no problems with it.  

21 minutes ago, AndyR100 said:

I have one of the newer spin-on adapters..... I have had a nagging drip between the adaptor and the housing despite renewing  the two seals as well as the filter at each change and ensuring all was flat/clean and tight.

I just need to find the old housing that I put away in a safe place (hmmmm, perhaps too safe :) ) and I will be reverting to the canister type I think.

....... Andy 

We`ve been back converting ones for constant leaks as well. I now have a small stock of original filter housings just in case.

Stuart.

55 minutes ago, Moliver said:

Hi Ian, Any source link ?

Other than Moss, no. As Rob says mine must be a one piece one because nothing comes loose when I remove the filter. 

Rgds Ian

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/oil-filter-assembly-spin-on-conversion-non-oil-cooler-tt10861.html

Edited by Ian Vincent
4 hours ago, stuart said:

We`ve been back converting ones for constant leaks as well. I now have a small stock of original filter housings just in case.

Stuart.

That is very good to know Stuart - I will check all my usual just-in-case storage places in the garage, I will give you a shout if I come up empty handed, much appreciated :) 

........ Andy 

On 10/31/2021 at 4:59 PM, stuart said:

Stuart.

Hi Stuart - I have managed to locate mine in the highly (dis)organised system I have, so I won’t need to plunder your stock :) many thanks for your offer of help though.

...... Andy