Steptoe’s Yard

It looks like Harold Steptoe may have indeed not only lived, but owned a scrapyard!

But I’m intrigued by the little soft top sports car abandoned on the pile of scrap cars. It looks far too modern to be in amongst the rest of the salvage. Any ideas?

Kevin

1838D786-65CF-40CE-8DA7-414AFFF6F623.jpeg

Edited by boxofbits
1 hour ago, boxofbits said:

Good guess Mick certainly around that period, but the back end looks longer and more sculptured, and the wheels don’t look Austin?

I wondered if it was a Jowett of some description? 

Whatever it is, pity it ended up there!

I thought Jowett too but wheels dont look right, also front wings are different and the front lifts as one piece.

Stuart.

image.png.7605d8c3ae146bbae927d023668339ee.png

Edited by stuart

1950’s Ford 10 special? (E93a)

The windscreen pillar looks a bit homemade.

There were 101 models to choose from in those days.

Mr. Steptoe looks like he’s about to punch the photographer.

Charlie.

38 minutes ago, stuart said:

I thought Jowett too but wheels dont look right, also front wings are different and the front lifts as one piece.

Stuart.

image.png.7605d8c3ae146bbae927d023668339ee.png

Hi Stuart

Yes the rear wing looks slightly squarer on the Jowett and maybe a bit longer overall. But very close. Don’t know whether you agree but it looks like a production model to me and not a one-off special.., and definitely a British yard? 

Agree Charlie, Steptoe don’t look too ‘happy:blink: !

Could it be European?

36 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

1950’s Ford 10 special? (E93a)

The windscreen pillar looks a bit homemade.

There were 101 models to choose from in those days.

Mr. Steptoe looks like he’s about to punch the photographer.

Charlie.

But they were mostly fibreglass werent they?

Stuart.

6 minutes ago, stuart said:

Its a Buckler MK X as they were ally bodied

Stuart.

buckler_clip_image011.jpg

Think you’ve got a result there Stuart!

I’d never even heard of them, but having looked it up, made by Derek Buckler Sports Cars. Apparently he used Ford E93a running gear which explains the wheels. You weren’t for off the mark Charlie! Agree very like Morris wheels too.

What a pity no one saved it.

http://bucklercars.com/

Kevin

Just now, boxofbits said:

Ford E93a running gear which explains the wheels.

Those don't look like  E93a wheels though Kevin - they had oblong slots not segment holes.

e93.jpg.423e7d8c41b103099534a0f3721141b9.jpg

17 minutes ago, RobH said:

Those don't look like  E93a wheels

Agree Rob,

After I wrote "Ford special” I looked up pictures of the Pop and Prefect and noticed that the wheel hole shape was different. I then spent ages looking for wheel holes that matched, but found none. Nothing to stop Mr. Buckler’s customers fitting different wheels though.

I tend to agree with Stuart, but I think the windscreen pillar looks different. But again, if the body was sold as a kit there was noting to stop the home builder making his own screen frame to save a bit of money.

1950’s kit cars and specials were mainly Bitzas from what I’ve seen.

(This reall is a fun way to spend a wet Sunday afternoon.)

Charlie.

You should get some decent LED headlamps :ph34r::P

Seriously, I drove home from Bexhill last week in the dark, & did not have a problem with seeing ahead of me.

What reflector (lamp) units do you have ?

Bob

4 hours ago, boxofbits said:

I’d never even heard of them, but having looked it up, made by Derek Buckler Sports Cars.

Kevin,

Not sure of your age, but for my friends and myself the late 1960’s was a time to dream about sports cars, and Ford Specials and Austin 7 Specials were the only option we could afford

There was one in for sale in Leamington Spa for (I think) £50. My dad told me “No way are you having that thing!” (He would be the one to insure it.)
So I did not buy it.
The registration (I still remember…) was LUV 21.
My £50 would have been a good investment (Had I still got it.)

I used to walk past an abandoned Austin 7 special (Fiberglass body) on my to work every day. It was sitting in a factory car park, so eventually I went in and asked if it was for sale. They told me if I could take it away I could have it for free.
I took it home, cut up a Triumph Herald chassis to make it fit under the body, but eventually gave up and scrapped it.

However, here is a site to show the cars we could have bought in those days.

https://www.fordspecials.co.uk/index.html

Charlie.

Have just fitted a similar set of wheels to my Citroen. They are Rubery Owen Easiclean wheels and popular in the 1940s and 1950s and correct for a 1949 Slough built Citroen.

Cheers

Richard

DSCN2787.JPG

49 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Kevin,

Not sure of your age, but for my friends and myself the late 1960’s was a time to dream about sports cars, and Ford Specials and Austin 7 Specials were the only option we could afford

There was one in for sale in Leamington Spa for (I think) £50. My dad told me “No way are you having that thing!” (He would be the one to insure it.)
So I did not buy it.
The registration (I still remember…) was LUV 21.
My £50 would have been a good investment (Had I still got it.)

I used to walk past an abandoned Austin 7 special (Fiberglass body) on my to work every day. It was sitting in a factory car park, so eventually I went in and asked if it was for sale. They told me if I could take it away I could have it for free.
I took it home, cut up a Triumph Herald chassis to make it fit under the body, but eventually gave up and scrapped it.

However, here is a site to show the cars we could have bought in those days.

https://www.fordspecials.co.uk/index.html

Charlie.

You’re right Austin 7 and Ford E93a did yield a lot of parts for Specials back then, as were Standard Triumph parts. Good times. I can remember if you couldn’t buy a road going car, a quick scour of the neighbour’s gardens would usually turn up something cheap up on blocks. Failing that the local railway goods yard!

Sounds like Luv 21 would’ve been a good investment. Perhaps you could’ve tweaked it to read Luv2!

I think I paid £40 for a Standard 8 with a 10 engine back then...albeit in a very sorry state!

Kevin

1 hour ago, boxofbits said:

I think I paid £40 for a Standard 8 with a 10 engine back then . . .

Brings a tear to a fellow's eye seeing how much some of these "old crocks" are worth today. :(

There goes a nice little addition to the pension pot!

Advertised on Carandclassic.co.uk this week :

1947  3.5 litre Jaguar MkIV.

Yours for £65,000.

JagmkIV.thumb.jpg.d8a4bcca02c3fea2b1c5845fe221b49a.jpg

Deggers