Handbrake issue sorted

I noticed the other day that the handbrake although still working, was right at the top end of it's travel.

This normally means that it's time to adjust the rear brakes, although having done them not too many miles ago, I was a bit surprised.

Anyway, got the wheel off, & the adjusting spanner on the square adjuster, & proceeded to wind it in. after several turns, I realised that something was wrong.

I took off the brake drum, & the cone end of the adjuster was right at the back of the housing. a few  more turns confirmed that the thread had stripped in the housing.

The easy answer would have been to re-tap, & insert a 3/8" UNF helicoil. but I did not have any that size. So only quick solution (I needed the car tomorrow for our TR meet) was to make a threaded insert. A 9/16" UNF bolt was found, & drilled out to 8.5mm to take the 3/8"UNF internal thread. The alloy housing was drilled 13mm to take the new 9/16" UNF thread, & then the insert cut to length, & a couple of screwdriver slots cut in the top face. After much de-greasing, Locktite 638 was applied, & the insert screwed in till flush. After a short wait The brake adjuster was able to be inserted, & the whole thing reassembled on the car. brakes adjusted - handbrake now working where it should be, & Cinderella TR can go to the ball  TR meet.

b675e87a-97f5-4853-90e1-98031541ab1c.thumb.jpg.d8599ce651ef56e4e9b86dab05d25a8f.jpg 5443a3aa-2a73-443d-ad3a-7e7415541281.thumb.jpg.e65b374113280de2cf87b3e867d56c46.jpg dce7ce82-776b-4681-a9e7-aafc158e1219.thumb.jpg.59af784891f30ed0fedcb78ea4729839.jpg 299a29ee-f2a3-4820-951a-17e72fdcd54f.thumb.jpg.3b74cb8c6c87d0af91819e4db2a4c367.jpg

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Not being able to do things like this

when I see others do it- I love it and appreciate the skill and the thought process to come up with the work round.

great result Bob.

12 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Nice solution and outcome. I probably would have spent 1/2 hour searching for a spare adjuster that I was sure I had somewhere…..

I knew that I did not have one !

The challenge with the adjuster for 10” Girling brakes is their price.  
They were also used on big Healey and their 4 seater version the Austin taxi cab.   Probably another reason for the cost.

Mine are 9" Girling, are the adjusters not the same for both ?

Anyway, should the other one strip (why did it strip anyway ?) I would do the same, as it did not take very long, & was quite fun !

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
17 hours ago, Hamish said:

Not being able to do things like this

when I see others do it- I love it and appreciate the skill and the thought process to come up with the work round.

great result Bob.

Hi Hamish,

I can understand  that and am always  full of praise when I see others doing such clever innovative things - excellence in engineering.

Well done Bob for the result and sharing it.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
On 10/31/2021 at 10:51 AM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

As an apprentice I was told. "As an engineer you will do with a penny what everyone else does for a pound"

And me, almost exactly the same……… “Engineers make for a penny what any idiot can make for a pound”!

……… Still very impressed @Bob

2 hours ago, Tony_C said:

… “Engineers make for a penny what any idiot can make for a pound”!

That means I can make it for a fiver :unsure: