Photo ID required.

Any more info or context to the picture ?

what is the rainbow archive ?

presume European engine / pic?

looks like a twin cam ?

italian ? 
alfa ?

Most hits from Google for "Rainbow Archive" are about LBGT life, not engines.

Google image search saw the woman and her dress and offered only "Vintage clothing" and women's faces. until I cropped the pic, when it recognised an "engine" and offered every bloody engine that has appeared on Google.

Tin Eye works differently and looks for a picture that is as similar as possible to the original, but that found nothing, so we need some context and a hyperlink to the original that you have seen, Doretti.

Meanwhile, that engine compartment on the back wall is from a VW Beetle, and it could be the same engine in it.  But I don't know of and can't find a longitudinally fitted, in-line, twin-cam engine fitted to a VW.     It has a distinctive and to my eye unusual parallel entry for the spark leads that might cause a lot of misfires!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

I found this reference to Frank Rainbow by Alec Pringle back in 2007, perhaps this will help.

FD0B0E41-0061-4211-90FB-188927EAC130.png

Edited by SuzanneH

The title "Rainbow Archive" was given many years ago to my personal collection of images, digitally copied from early 1950s Kodak stereo transparencies. Among the stereo slides, loaned to me by the late Helen Rainbow, are photos of Dorothy Deen, Frank Rainbow and Ken Richardson taken in the UK, France and the USA.

Ken Yankey

Then I'm afraid you are on your own, Doretti!

But the engine as a VW mod may be worth pursuing!   Try postng on PistonHeads?   There is some encyclopaedic knowledge there, and they like a 'What's this' puzzle!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Doretti,

As I said, they are good on PistonHeads!

I was pointed not to a VW, but a Renault 4CV - also rear engined and with a very similar engine cover shape, so I may hope to be forgiven! - and to one Roger Boudot, who built a TwinCam head for the Billancourt engine fitted to that model.    That engine's design made it impossible to increase it's capacity very much, so Boudot sought other ways to increase power, possibly inspired or enabled by its alloy cylinder head.  Certainly he achieved a cross-flow design that Triumphs could have done with, but it may not have been successful, as Renault persisted with the single-cam Ventoux variant from Gordini that went into the Dauphine.

This is the Billancourt

image.png.32090303c830c8cb6641c66fcfa100d7.png

And this the Boudot Twin-Cam head version

1667313918_BoudotTwinCamonRenault4CV.jpg.ecc9c57f1fb4afa4085c412e7e69d439.jpg 

See: https://www.aronline.co.uk/opinion/essay-bmc-vs-renault-the-engine-story/

And the Wiki article:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Billancourt_engine

But the lady?   She must remain a mystery, as ladies should.

John

Edited by john.r.davies
29 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Now that looks like the back end of a Dauphin, which did not have a twin cam as standard (perhaps the Gordini version did ?)

Bob.

It is a Dauphin but not any of the engines they used even in Gordini versions.

Stuart.