Removal of gearbox mount on a J type box

Hi

Im removing the gearbox this weekend in order to have it rebuilt.

Last time I removed the box I had a really hard job removing the gearbox mount from the chassis and the J type overdrive.

I can’t remember how I did it in the end.

What is the easiest way to do this as most of the nuts and bolts are pretty inaccessible.

Nigel

This may well help you in your struggles - well it does on my CR TR6 anyway and may be applicable to your 250   

Referring to the diagrams in the Moss catalogue on page 82/3.  with the  nut #71 welded to the top of the bracket #66, the clamp bolt #68 can be  fitted from below.  So much easier to assemble the clamp and prevents an inch or two of threaded bolt sticking down below the clamp that significantly reduces total ground clearance, something for which I've been very grateful to have on more than one occasion.

Hi Alfrom

Thats a great idea to weld the nuts to the bracket.

This is what caused the greatest problem today as there is hardly any access to stop the two rear bolts from turning.

Had to jam a screwdriver between the bolt head and bracket. Of course it kept slipping so must have had to get out from under the car about 20 times for each bolt before success.

No fun at my age.

Will fire up the welder on reassembly although hopefully won’t have to do it again.

Nigel