DOT-3 question

Hi again.

I purchased my ex US TR6 just over 4 years ago, it came with a new brake master cylinder, I have not yet looked to see who has made it.

I have a brake fault yet to be fully diagnosed, only at the early stages so far.

I am going to renew the brake fluid while doing this work, I looked on the brake master cylinder cap, and it read use only DOT-3 brake fluid, does anyone know why, just curious, I of course have no idea if it is filled with DOT-3.

I am also going to change the brake hoses, can anyone give the pros and cons of using braided or rubber, but not the cost.

Can you recommend a supplier of good quality brake hoses, either rubber or braided.  

Thank you,

Mick.

Edited by mhossack
Spelling mistake

Hi Mick

DOT 3 is the base level of the modern fluids formulate donkeys ages ago.

Eventually DOT4 appeared with improved temp range.

It wasn't until the early 2000's that DOT4 became the standard for modern cars but it was available long before.

With the  onset of ABS DOT5.1 appeared. Much the same as DOT 4 but with lower frothing characteristics and slightly higher temp range.

Your lid has DOT 3 because the folk that make the parts haven't changed their moulds. Why bother. DOT 3 is the the min requirement 

Roger

Hi Mick

Roger has covered the DOT 3.

But with regard to braided hoses my understanding is they don't expand as much as the rubber due to inner been PVC tube. The outer braid jacket further constrains the inner PVC so maintains pressure for less brake pedal effort. Also offers some protection from debris. 

Need to be careful they don't kink esp the fronts on steering lock to lock or they will split. Last longer but still need regular inspection.

Andy