TR4 Wiper Rack Tubing - Bent?

I'm in the process of refitting the wiper motor, rack, tubing and wheelboxes to my TR4. This is made massively easier as I haven't yet fitted dashboard, heater, dashtop, windscreen etc. However, I am having some trouble lining up the tubing and rackwire between the wheelboxes and am wondering if my central tube (between the wheelboxes) is the culprit. In the picture it is mainly straight but has a bend at each end of about 30 degrees. That doesn't make sense to me as surely the wheelboxes sit in the same plane, an equal distance from the deck therefore the tube should be straight? 

Some googling reveals some workshop diagrams showing it to be dead straight, while some forums have suggested it may be kinked at one end (in order to avoid the vent flap mechanism?). A kink at both ends suggests one wheelbox sits further back in the car than the other, surely not?

What's weird is that this came off the car and the wipers worked before (although they were probably graunchy). Any ideas welcome. Thank you.

tube1.thumb.jpg.4c6d2b3f7301264128dfea84689364ee.jpg

Hi Rod,

I can't remember the shape of mine but straight rings a bell. However there is no reason why it shouldn't have slight bends as you show.

Have a look at where the motor goes in and see how that tube aligns.  It may be this that dictates the subsequent shapes.

If you thread the rack through the tubes and wheelboxes loosely that may hold everything in place as you tighten the clamps.

Roger

Thanks Roger - I've got it laid out on the living room floor and can see your point regarding the entry point of the first tube (from the motor). It may actually dictate that the left wheelbox is canted over clockwise by 30 degrees and the kink in the centre tube accommodates that. And so with the right side wheelbox, which will also be canted clockwise by 30 degrees due to the kink at the other end of the centre tube.

It seems a mad arrangement as the rack is going up and down out of the w/boxes, which themselves are turned clockwise. I've got a new rack and it actually has a hell of a job going through the 30 degree kinks in the central tube, very tight.

I think I might see if I've got some straight tube somewhere and try it all in the car with that as the centre section of tubing, with the wheelboxes nice and level. Even if that necessitates some bending of the motor-side tube that would seem preferable.

Thank god I don't have the dash/instruments/heater in..............

You will find you need to allow for the vent flap rod as well and make sure you have the wheel boxes the right way up too.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Thanks Stuart. The vent flap rod is probably why my centre tube effectively "rises" from left to right wheelbox.

Now I'm afraid to ask, but will anyway - which way up should the swheelboxes be? I'm 99% certain the rack runs along the bottom of both wheel boxes, is that correct? Is it also acceptable (or even normal) for them to sit slightly rotated clockwise? That's the only way the setup would work with my centre tube.

I have posted previously with photos and dimensions of these tubes but haven’t had a chance to try and find them - maybe someone can.

As far as I can recall , the tubes are definitely not straight

cheers Rich

Hi Rich - I had a dig and found your post. It suggests that the centre tube does have a bend, but only at one end. Must be to clear the vent flap rod. I guess it suggests it is ok to have at least one of the wheel boxes canted over. 

I'm feeling a bit more comfortable, apart from the fact that the new rack really doesn't like going through the kinks.

Hi,

Deleted. I was thinking it was the first tube, sorry.

Edited by RobG
Me not reading question properly.

I'm in a happier place, although not there yet. I did some surgery to the centre tube using heat and a metal rod thrust down each end until I'd (largely) straightened each end. I got it to the point where the new rack would pass through relatively easily.

I've just put in the wheelboxes and connected them with the centre tube and it looked a whole lot better. It also appears to not foul the vent rod. I've also fitted up the first tube from the motor end, it was a bit tricky to align but it's pretty much all in. A quick trial with the new rack has been successful in that it operates both wheelboxes and runs pretty freely. 

Before I fit the motor I'll drag out the rack, grease it fully and fit the odd little "end tube" which is still in the post from TR Trader. Mine was missing but all it appears to do is keep the rack from flapping about at the end of its journey. I'll also need to cut down the new rack as it's about twice as long as necessary.

I've heard light grease, lithium, black moly is the best so I'll go source that. I don't really want this apart again.

Thanks for the help and support.

Edited by Rod Mac

Thanks Roger, I've given it a good test and all is well. No idea why that tube was bent the way it was. I seem to recall it was always a bit noisy in operation. Hopefully better in future.

14 hours ago, Rod Mac said:

Thanks Roger, I've given it a good test and all is well. No idea why that tube was bent the way it was. I seem to recall it was always a bit noisy in operation. Hopefully better in future.

They do get bent when the wheel boxes come loose and wipers used on dry screens, the wheel boxes will twist and bend the tubes

Stuart

Edited by stuart