Cyl head - 313247 - origin?

I am building a 2.5l motor for my GT6, I have the old head that came off my TR6, it has a 313247 part number. I have found an old post on here that suggests this is a late TR6 PI head, however, when I look on Chris Witor's site it shows this as a low compression carb'd African market head? Can anyone confirm this is indeed a PI head? I don't want to spend money on it if it won't be good at the end.

Ian

Worth measuring the thickness. That should tell you if it is you compression

2 hours ago, Tim D. said:

Worth measuring the thickness. That should tell you if it is you compression

3.353" Tim, that doesn't seem to match up with any heads either. 

The 313247 ist the casting number (raised). Check the head assy number such as 218227. This number should be stamped. The original head is 3.535". In this case your head has been skimmed. If the center Inlet ports match the spacing you require and the valve ports have a nice smooth transition (which indicates a good quality casting) then you should consider it. Also depending ofcourse which CR you want to achieve.

Jochem

Take a look at this

Acknowledgements to Chris Witor for providing this research

https://www.chriswitor.com/datasheets/head_applications_chart.pdf

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
8 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

The 313247 ist the casting number (raised). Check the head assy number such as 218227. This number should be stamped. The original head is 3.535". In this case your head has been skimmed. If the center Inlet ports match the spacing you require and the valve ports have a nice smooth transition (which indicates a good quality casting) then you should consider it. Also depending ofcourse which CR you want to achieve.

Jochem

Thanks Jochem, this head came from an engine that I bought that was pulled from a  fire damaged car. I had naively fitted the engine without adequate checks and it never ran properly, on investigation, one of the valves in this head was bent and the valve guide sheared off at the head face. The engine had supposedly been recently rebuilt before the fire, the state of the valve stems would seem to indicated this might well be true. I need a head to fit to an MM block that I have obtained, the block currently has standard bores, will need a rebore as the pistons were corroded in, not badly but a hone won't do here!. The crank was still on original grind so that should be sorted easily enough. I have a set of Maxpeeding rods, bought on offer as too cheap to not try them out, a hybrid Newman 280/300 cam, springs & followers, will have GT6 flywheel lightened, trigger wheel, thinking of fitting Nodiz ignition or stick with 123. Triple webers & inlet manifolds arriving next week. I'm hoping to have a GT6 that's fast in a straight line, I need to think about braking upgrades to prepare for the twisty bits!

3 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Take a look at this

Acknowledgements to Chris Witor for providing this research

https://www.chriswitor.com/datasheets/head_applications_chart.pdf

That's why I referred to Chris' site in my first post Peter, I'm well aware of this, however, it refers to an EGR valve being on this head, I don't see where that would fit on mine. The head supports PI manifolds, I ran my PI kit on there fine, the dowels for the TB's are present. Finally, the head depth is lower, obviously it might well have been shaved

2 minutes ago, iani said:

That's why I referred to Chris' site in my first post Peter, I'm well aware of this, however, it refers to an EGR valve being on this head, I don't see where that would fit on mine. The head supports PI manifolds, I ran my PI kit on there fine, the dowels for the TB's are present. Finally, the head depth is lower, obviously it might well have been shaved

Sorry I had misread your original post.

Peter W

19 hours ago, iani said:

Thanks Jochem, this head came from an engine that I bought that was pulled from a  fire damaged car. I had naively fitted the engine without adequate checks and it never ran properly, on investigation, one of the valves in this head was bent and the valve guide sheared off at the head face. The engine had supposedly been recently rebuilt before the fire, the state of the valve stems would seem to indicated this might well be true. I need a head to fit to an MM block that I have obtained, the block currently has standard bores, will need a rebore as the pistons were corroded in, not badly but a hone won't do here!. The crank was still on original grind so that should be sorted easily enough. I have a set of Maxpeeding rods, bought on offer as too cheap to not try them out, a hybrid Newman 280/300 cam, springs & followers, will have GT6 flywheel lightened, trigger wheel, thinking of fitting Nodiz ignition or stick with 123. Triple webers & inlet manifolds arriving next week. I'm hoping to have a GT6 that's fast in a straight line, I need to think about braking upgrades to prepare for the twisty bits!

After looking at my US BL tuning book, it looks to me that you have a low compression head? They quote a dim of 3.460" thick for 8.5 ? I would speak to Chris Whitor direct he will sort you out!

Bruce.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:25 PM, iani said:

3.353" Tim, that doesn't seem to match up with any heads either. 

Is the actual thickness of your head 3.353" now??? as this would give a compression of over 10 to 1?? It is not very clear in the wording.

Bruce

5 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Is the actual thickness of your head 3.353" now??? as this would give a compression of over 10 to 1?? It is not very clear in the wording.

Bruce

That's what I've measured it as Bruce.

8 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Bruce

Just checked again and this is correct

That calc of over 10:1 assumes the chambers haven't been worked on. Just a thought.

I've obtained a 219016 2500S head, I will have that one rebuilt for this engine.