TR4A Soft Top Info Please.

I bought this [NOS] top privately a few years ago, for a TR4A.
The clear see through has heat sealed seams to the vinyl.
The rear edge has a metal bar attached.
There is a tag on the inside "CHT".
Can anyone suggest who the manufacturer may have been?

IMG_1369_LI.jpg

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1373_LI.jpg

IMG_1372_LI.jpg

2 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Coventry Hood and Tonneau as a guess?

cheers Rich

Yes theyve been manufacturers for years and are my go to suppliers still.

Stuart.

Mark the centre of the hood and a centre mark on the screen so you get everything straight then just undo the clips on the frame enough to take the tension off but dont unhook them, then with the hood pulled as far forward over the rail as you can make a chalk mark along the front edge thats where the front of the hood should then fold over, dont apply glue to the top of the rail just the forward underside back as far as the rivet holes then glue the front round.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 9:24 PM, stuart said:

Yes theyve been manufacturers for years and are my go to suppliers still.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart...do you know what the current replacement cost is please.

8 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Thanks Stuart...do you know what the current replacement cost is please.

Couldnt tell you Im afraid. Best Email them and ask is all I can suggest.

Stuart.

Be aware the rear steel retainer bar (812832) if not fitted to the soft top will need your old one putting on in the right place or a replacement purchased if the old one is rusted, this will be an additional £50.00 for the retainer bar.  Cheap hoods are not that cheap when you start adding in extras like the bar, rivets and fasteners.  If you are paying a trimmer to fit the thing he may add another hour minimum to your bill.  More if he decides to restore the bar for you.

Having it pre-fitted takes one of the tasks out of hood fitting.   ... and if it is not fitted squarely/centrally to the fabric you can throw the hood back at the supplier.  If you get it in the wrong place you will have to live with it or poke extra rivet holes through the fabric to get it in the right place.

I suspect CHT use the original makers hood/tonneau bucks/jigs to get that bar in the right place - It looks like a rear deck, tonneau sides, hood frame, door tops and screen frame all fitted to a large table. 

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
13 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Be aware the rear steel retainer bar (812832) if not fitted to the soft top will need your old one putting on in the right place or a replacement purchased if the old one is rusted, this will be an additional £50.00 for the retainer bar.  Cheap hoods are not that cheap when you start adding in extras like the bar, rivets and fasteners.  If you are paying a trimmer to fit the thing he may add another hour minimum to your bill.  More if he decides to restore the bar for you.

Having it pre-fitted takes one of the tasks out of hood fitting.   ... and if it is not fitted squarely/centrally to the fabric you can throw the hood back at the supplier.  If you get it in the wrong place you will have to live with it or poke extra rivet holes through the fabric to get it in the right place.

I suspect CHT use the original makers hood/tonneau bucks/jigs to get that bar in the right place - It looks like a rear deck, tonneau sides, hood frame, door tops and screen frame all fitted to a large table. 

Peter W

They do come with it fitted, unfortunately the repro ones are a bit thin so dont have the same rigidity that the originals had.

Stuart.