Oil spray

Hi 

Just back from a lovely 30 mile blast through countryside of North Kent. The 6 went really well!

But.....when home I lifted the bonnt to find that oil had been sprayed over much of the underboont area. It was on both sides of the engine bay

and I am thinking that if an head gasket it would more lile be only on one side. So I am assuming that any leak is coming from the crank-case.

Any ideas/sugstions would be welome. If crank-case does this involve a lot ofwork?

I checked the sump oil level and this indicates level still high.

Best Wishes

Ernest

8 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Hi 

Just back from a lovely 30 mile blast through countryside of North Kent. The 6 went really well!

But.....when home I lifted the bonnt to find that oil had been sprayed over much of the underboont area. It was on both sides of the engine bay

and I am thinking that if an head gasket it would more lile be only on one side. So I am assuming that any leak is coming from the crank-case.

Any ideas/sugstions would be welome. If crank-case does this involve a lot ofwork?

I checked the sump oil level and this indicates level still high.

Best Wishes

Ernest

Check the flame trap is clear

Some pics would be helpful if you can? 

Not oil related but potentially relevant .... I had a small weep from my water pump that was distributed all over the bonnet by the fan.  I was losing no (noticeable) amounts of coolant and as such it took me ages to trace - particularly as it only weeped when hot!    

24 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Thanks for responses so far.

I have cleaned all the oil off, so pics not much use now - it was definitely oil

Not sure what a'flame-trap' is ntc ?

Best Wishes

Ernest

Item 110 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/fuel-system-induction-controls/air-filtration-induction/inlet-exhaust-manifolds-tr5-6-1967-76.html

Stuart.

Thanks Ray aand Stuart

It looks like I need to take a close look at all oil-related joints (it does have a oil-cooler Ray)

and see if i can idetify the cause - now, thanks to Stuart, I can identify the position of the 'flame-trap' this does look like a possible contender

as the underside of the bonnet was liberally sprayed with oil.

Ernest

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Thanks Ray aand Stuart

It looks like I need to take a close look at all oil-related joints (it does have a oil-cooler Ray)

and see if i can idetify the cause - now, thanks to Stuart, I can identify the position of the 'flame-trap' this does look like a possible contender

as the underside of the bonnet was liberally sprayed with oil.

Ernest

Forgot to add check the oil trap also in the rocker cover if std and find the part number for that :lol:

16 hours ago, ntc said:

Forgot to add check the oil trap also in the rocker cover if std and find the part number for that :lol:

Came as one assembly originally not supplied separately though there are two different originals.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, Ernest said:

Oddly the fan was about the only under-bonnet item with no oil on it!

It wouldn't if it had all spun off! (slightly tongue in cheek btw)

Thanks Stuart, I will have a close look next week. I am thinking that if I run the car up to warm

I might be able to locate the leak more easily.

I see what you mean John and I guess that your slighlty tongue in cheek observation might be correct!

Ernest

if it has thrown oil over both sides of the engine bay then i would say it's leaking at the front near the fan.

Therefor the rocker cover gasket or the front timing cover oil seal.

Roy