TR7 unsuitable replacement part

Suitable part unavailable on open market, the ones I bought fell apart within in a few miles. Apparently Dolomite club make it and to buy them you need to be a member, if DC can get them made in Aluminium can’t that be recreated. TR Register or SDF? 

9B418C24-0E01-42FC-97CD-41A81A47F3AB.png

Part fits between the Strongburg carb to manifold. 

Edited by Misfit

I think a description of what it is may help ?

Mick Richards

I think Misfit is referring to the rubber mounting that sits between the carb and inlet manifold on the slant 4 Triumph engines. The originals are made from rubber and eventually perish. Even the modern rubber replacements appear go AWOL sooner rather than later. The Triumph Dolomite Club sells aluminium items to club members - thankfully my 1850HL had them fitted by a previous owner before I bought my car a few years ago.

Ray

I've had the same problem with rubber carb mounts for SU HS6s. Current repro are rubbish and fall within months.

I've used secondhand originals, not great to be fitting such old parts but better than what's currently available new.

Nigel

The gremlin with replacing the "rubber" mounts with aluminium is vibration.

In the upper reaches of the rev range the engine vibrations of in line  of 4 pot engines can cause problems with the float chambers flooding the carbs.  The rubber mounts help to isolate/damp this to an extent so swapping to rigid mounts negates this benefit.  I think this is why Webers use big rubberised mounts too.

Better to invest in better rubber mounts than rigid ones?

9 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

The gremlin with replacing the "rubber" mounts with aluminium is vibration.

In the upper reaches of the rev range the engine vibrations of in line  of 4 pot engines can cause problems with the float chambers flooding the carbs.  The rubber mounts help to isolate/damp this to an extent so swapping to rigid mounts negates this benefit.  I think this is why Webers use big rubberised mounts too.

Better to invest in better rubber mounts than rigid ones?

I have rubber mounted my float chambers using original SU items that look like this 

just be sure to get the correct angle set so the chamber tops are horizontal  there are different ones available  try Burlen Services

image.jpeg.d20cc5e37a1d627277bbbdb026b689d8.jpeg