Sump Cleaning

Take a current reading, then get a new set of standard and fit and take another reading and see if it's made enough difference if not calculate the extra size required to reduce the gap and order. When done don't sit with your clutch down for prolonged periods and they probably won't wear quite a quick. 

Gareth

I have ordered a Std pair and a plus .005 and hope the combination will put me in the zone.

Whilst the car is in the air I thought I'd replace the other fluids.

It's a 72 CP with an A type OD ( 2,3,and 4th) .

Having drained the gear box oil into a 4 pint milk container I was surprised that it was only half full as I understand the capacity for this type of box is 2L.

Having set up a pump with 2 litres in, the box started to overflow after just 1.3 litres.

My understanding is that the OD is not filled separately.

Any suggestions.

16 hours ago, Phil H 4 said:

I have ordered a Std pair and a plus .005 and hope the combination will put me in the zone.

Whilst the car is in the air I thought I'd replace the other fluids.

It's a 72 CP with an A type OD ( 2,3,and 4th) .

Having drained the gear box oil into a 4 pint milk container I was surprised that it was only half full as I understand the capacity for this type of box is 2L.

Having set up a pump with 2 litres in, the box started to overflow after just 1.3 litres.

My understanding is that the OD is not filled separately.

Any suggestions.

You wont drain the overdrive just by draining the box, you also need to remove the large brass drain plug under the overdrive and clean the filter behind it. When refilling you need to fill the box with what it will take then take the car for a run and use the overdrive as much as possible, this will refill the overdrive with oil from the box. Then refill the box with the remaining oil to full.

Stuart.

Best thing I did when I got the TR was to join the register.

Just thought I'd look into the drain Stuart directed me to ..and back in August 2016 the removal tool details were given.

Although it's also suggested a hammer and a block of wood can be used..:blink:

I read a good tip on the Forum to fill up the O/D, which was to jack up the front and then fill the gearbox with a bit more oil than the capacity.  Leave overnight then drop the car down in the morning and with a bit of luck it should overflow a  little bit. If not top up.

Roger

13 hours ago, Rogcastle said:

I read a good tip on the Forum to fill up the O/D, which was to jack up the front and then fill the gearbox with a bit more oil than the capacity.  Leave overnight then drop the car down in the morning and with a bit of luck it should overflow a  little bit. If not top up.

Roger

That still wont refill the overdrive properly as it needs to be driven and overdrive used to refill it completely.

Stuart.

16 hours ago, Phil H 4 said:

Stuart,

How long should you run the car to fill the OD 15 mins -1hr ?

Just ensuring I don't do more harm than good.

Thanks

Phil

About 10 miles is enough just use the overdrive as much as possible while your out. You`ll probably find it`ll be a bit sluggish to engage first of all until its pumped enough oil round. Then you`ll find you`ll get the last half a litre in there.

Stuart.