Brake Fluid Leakge on top of reservoir lid

I haven't driven my car or even looked under the bonnet for several weeks now but when I looked under the bonnet yesterday I noticed that the lid of the reservoir was flooded with brake fluid, presumably come up through the centre breather hole. Can anyone suggest what may be occuring here please? Thanks Jon

I can think of only 2 possibilities. It's over filled by accident or the fluid is old and has absorbed water which of course swells its volume. Probably the simplest fix is a fluid change to discount water as a problem and a new seal on the master cylinder lid to prevent a future problem of the same nature. If the levels are correct there is no way the fluid should be high enough to come out of the vent. Frankly I'm surprised to hear that there is a breather as such, it should be a one way diaphragm valve which allows a very small amount of air in as the pads wear and the fluid drops. This is not based on TR5 experience but more generally. For sure my TR6 reservoir is completely sealed.