Garden machinery

33 minutes ago, stuart said:

Most of the larger modern tractors have GPS to control field working and they are reckoned to be very accurate.

Stuart.

One of the local farmers has a Catapiller tractor that is used to plough some of the big fields on the fens, this thing has all the GPS tech so not to much to do, earlier this year he was so bored he fell asleep and drove into one of the big drains that borders his land. He wasn't hurt but it took a lot of effort to get it all back on dry land

4 minutes ago, harlequin said:

One of the local farmers has a Catapiller tractor that is used to plough some of the big fields on the fens, this thing has all the GPS tech so not to much to do, earlier this year he was so bored he fell asleep and drove into one of the big drains that borders his land. He wasn't hurt but it took a lot of effort to get it all back on dry land

Ha ha "Its automatic but youve got to be there!"

Stuart.

6 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Good point Stuart. I hadn’t really thought about that, Just like the surveying equipment you see people using on the roads. +/- 5 mtrs isn’t really very good if you want to build a flyover.

I’ve just looked into it a bit more and found this:

“When selective availability was lifted in 2000, GPS had about a five-meter (16 ft) accuracy. GPS receivers that use the L5 band can have much higher accuracy, pinpointing to within 30 centimeters (11.8 in), while high-end users (typically engineering and land surveying applications) are able to have accuracy on several of the bandwidth signals to within two centimeters,”

But I guess those systems come at a price. OK to fit into a £300,000+  piece of farm machinery, but a bit pricey for a garden mower.

I’ll look into what “The L5 band” is, and try to discover.

Charlie

Your right, L5 Receivers are expensive! https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=L5+GPS+Receiver&_sacat=0

Stuart.

5 minutes ago, stuart said:

Ha ha "Its automatic but youve got to be there!"

Stuart.

One of the lads in the Cambfollowers farms the land on the opposite side of this drain and when he was telling us the tale I thought he was going to wet himself he was laughed so much.

Two ways of improving absolute accuracy of GPS.

Differential is the norm, this is where you set up a reference unit at a known surveyed in position. The GPS receiver at that spot transmits the difference between the received GPS position  &, the real surveyed position to the mobile receiver. The mobile then subtracts this "error" from it's own gps derived position to establish it's real position.

The other (& much more accurate) way is phase comparison, this requires a more expensive receiver which not only measures time delays from the satellites, but also the phase of the RF signal it' self. This method is only used for precision positioning.

(I used to work on these things)

Bob.

Edited by Lebro