Accelerator pedal position

Hi hopefully a question all UK TR6 owners can answer.

I am having to correct a very badly converted LHD to RHD pedal box.

My question, the accelerator pedal is just hanging down from a poor accelerator shaft fixing, it has no return stop or return spring provision, at the moment only the carburettors springs are returning the accelerator pedal, very bad.

I have made a good accelerator pedal shaft with a bronze bush, all I need now is the position of the accelerator pedal height, so I can set my return stop and return spring.

I would expect all 3 pedals to be at approximately the same height, so a straight edge across the clutch and brake pedal should give me the approximate height for the accelerator pedal.

I do not want to set a position where the height is too high.

I am just checking the accelerator pedal is not slightly lower than the other 2 pedals, so more comfortable on your leg when driving.

I think when driving a car you do not think of the pedal positions, the manufacture has done that for you.

Thank you.

Luke.   

The height of the pedal will be controlled by the clamp on the engine side of the bulk head, and adjust the throttle rod onto the clamp on the bracket on the carburettor bracket, there is a good picture in the WM, image.thumb.png.e4efe3de1906c18d2994f03db5df702d.png

1 minute ago, John L said:

The height of the pedal will be controlled by the clamp on the engine side of the bulk head, and adjust the throttle rod onto the clamp on the bracket on the carburettor bracket, there is a good picture in the WM, image.thumb.png.e4efe3de1906c18d2994f03db5df702d.png

Only applicable to Carburated cars so depends on if the car is on those or fitted with PI. Either way its better if the pedals are all roughly level.

Stuart.

25 minutes ago, Luke-Mia said:

Hi John and Stuart.

I think I must have confused you, I am only interested in the height of the accelerator pedal in the pedal box.

Stuart you said it is better to have all the pedals at roughly the same height, so that is what I will aim for.

Thank you.

Luke. 

It does also depend on your driving style, if you like to"heel and toe" then you would want to set the throttle pedal at the bite point of the brake pedal height.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi John and Stuart.

I have finally understood your replies sorry.

When the pedal box is fitted in the car, the height of the accelerator pedal is set by the length of the accelerator cable at the carburettor end, so you do not need a return stop in the pedal box, just a return spring, thank you.

My pedal box as I said is out of the car, I am going to put a bolted on accelerator pedal return stop on the side of my pedal box to set the height of the accelerator pedal in relation to the clutch pedal.

As you will know I need the pedal box back in the car and attached to the brake servo to get the brake pedal height back again, but that is the same as the clutch pedal height.

I have bolted on to my pedal box an old clutch master cylinder, and with the clevis pin in place I have the correct clutch pedal height to set my accelerator pedal height.

With my bolted on accelerator pedal return stop, it will be easier then to set an accelerator pedal return spring, not fitted when converted from LHD to RHD.

When the pedal box is back in the car and the accelerator cable reattached, I can if required just unbolt my temporary accelerator pedal return stop.

Stuart I am far too old to heel and a toe a car, I didn’t even when younger.

Is it possible to put into words the rough positions of the brake and accelerator pedal when heel and toeing thank you.

Luke.

Edited by Luke-Mia
Spelling mistake
14 hours ago, Luke-Mia said:

Stuart I am far too old to heel and a toe a car, I didn’t even when younger.

Is it possible to put into words the rough positions of the brake and accelerator pedal when heel and toeing thank you.

Luke.

With your foot on the brake and it depressed to the point where the brakes are just starting to bite set the throttle pedal at rest at that same height so you can swivel the heel of your foot to blip the throttle. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Stuart.