I have a 57 registered VW Passat and it is very reliable. 

But I have to take out the headlamps to allow for cleaning and removal of the damp inside. Can anyone post a link to a short video which will show how it is done. I have watched a couple already but they are not well lit and how to locate the hidden screws is quite difficult.

I am lucky that it is not a crisis that needs repair before tomorrow but I would like to do it before the weekend. Looks like some new tools  Torx etc. Any help or guidance to a simple  clear instruction would be very helpful. Removal of the front bumper looks like long project and I can easily work on the 3A. but the VW is more modern.   Any help would be very useful.

Thanks Richard & B

Thanks Hamish

This was very helpful indeed. My VW was a bit different but the instructions were very helpful. I am aiming to get it done before it gets cold and wet. 
Thanks Richard & B

All moderns seem to invent new fasteners, a set of Torx bits is a good investment.

While the lights are out it might be possible to drill some ventilation holes in the housing to stop the misting. This low-tech mod is one that Jag had to do on the xk8.

Jerry

i had to dismantle far too much of the front of my A5 to get to a HID light "bulb"

i wonder if Halfords still do all that for the £7 fitting service ?

Thanks Hamish

I have watched this video a few times and have almost managed to bring the headlamp into the house for drying and sealing. There is one hidden fixing which you can not see even with a mirror.

Have you ,or anyone else, managed to see or locate the small long bolt which is fixed through the light at the lowest and most hidden place at the back of the new light. He passes over this problem very quickly and because of the washer bottle it is not possible to see how to remove it.

If I can not manage it tomorrow I will need a mobile mechanic to remove the whole bumper at the week end. This feels a bit like failing so any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks Richard & B

If you were closer I’d suggest popping over at the weekend for a festival of torx and metric spannering to try and sort it.

went out in my Audi yesterday 1st time for weeks and the front left brake is binding :rolleyes:

clearly cars are happier when they are used 

Hi Hamish,

I have just used up the whole afternoon on the LHS lamp. I have removed the wing lining and a number of fixing plates on the engine side, A couple of the u tubes have explained that it is hard to access the lower fixing because the washer bottle is there. Even with a good light it is not easy to find the bolt and loosen it with a 10mm socket. 

I am hoping that someone will be able to give me a clear instruction. If I can not do it on Sunday I will wait for the local  VW engineer who has almost retired to find time to make a home call asap.

Unless there is a German TR fan who understands this better than I do.

Thanks Richard & B