Best injection upgrade

I have been searching for threads on upgrading the fuel injection on my PI. Everyone I meet has assumed that it would have been upgraded but it’s still on the Lucas pump.

I have a cold start problem that could easily injector or pump related so am considering an upgrade but don’t really know where to start.

Any advise / thoughts or links to decent threads on the subject as well as supplier and fit recommendations most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks Sam

1 hour ago, Scaf said:

I have been searching for threads on upgrading the fuel injection on my PI. Everyone I meet has assumed that it would have been upgraded but it’s still on the Lucas pump.

I have a cold start problem that could easily injector or pump related so am considering an upgrade but don’t really know where to start.

Any advise / thoughts or links to decent threads on the subject as well as supplier and fit recommendations most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks Sam

Nothing wrong with the Lucas pump, how long do you let it run before starting and when was the last time you serviced it filter etc?

1 minute ago, ntc said:

Nothing wrong with the Lucas pump, how long do you let it run before starting and when was the last time you serviced it filter etc?

30 seconds or so.

I have only just acquired the car so have no evidence of the servicing of the PI system.

Something for me to look into

12 minutes ago, StuartG said:

Have you checked that the enrichment lever on the MU is working fully when the "choke" is full pulled ?

Yes, just had the choke sorted as it was not operating correctly- definitely made a difference but it’s still not “turn key” 

8 hours ago, Mike C said:

If I leave the car for a while, I have to make sure the injection system is full of fuel- wait 10 secs or so until the Bosch pump changes note. Then I crank the engine over.

Agree with Mike, I do the same. A starting problem is unlikely to be the pump if the car runs ok once started. More likely is the injectors, if they are not sealing off when the engine is stopped then fuel will dribble out emptying the injector hoses. Pull out the injector after turning off the engine and see if fuel is dribbling out. Check the fuel spray pattern into a jam jar as well. The injection system doesn't need upgrading, it just needs to be in good working order. All assuming the ignition system is good of course.

Mike.

5 hours ago, michaelfinnis said:

Agree with Mike, I do the same. A starting problem is unlikely to be the pump if the car runs ok once started. More likely is the injectors, if they are not sealing off when the engine is stopped then fuel will dribble out emptying the injector hoses. Pull out the injector after turning off the engine and see if fuel is dribbling out. Check the fuel spray pattern into a jam jar as well. The injection system doesn't need upgrading, it just needs to be in good working order. All assuming the ignition system is good of course.

Mike.

I agree with both.   Jamjar is safest but I admit to holding them upside down in open air to check spray, should be a nice cone shape.  If they are old type with a point on the end you can often persuade them to work properly by wiggling the point.  If no point try tapping with a spanner etc.  Always wear safety goggles.

The plugs must be in decent condition, not wet or oily black looking.

In that case I'm having slight 2nd thoughts.  If you intend using the car for long trips in boiling hot weather the Lucas pump may irritate, due to vapour locks.  Not so much the cars fault, more modern fuels.  Thus perhaps not spend too much time/money messing with it.  I gave up and swopped to Bosch over 20 years ago, no regrets.

18 hours ago, Scaf said:

Sorry I should have said.

Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire.

Happy to travel within reason

Come and chat with your local group (North London) this Thursday at The Red Lion, Hemel Hempstead, HP3 9TD

Jerry

What cold start problems are you having?  You refer to it not being ‘turn key’.  These cars need a bit of key turning.  Are you expecting it to start straight away or are you struggling to get it to start after a lot of turning over?

cheers

dave

I have had lots of classics, the latest has a 65 Mustang fitted with quad 48ida webers, two pumps of the throttle and she came to life with no choke.

I am bringing to realise that the TR6 is a different animal in that regard. I have to turn her over for what feels like far too long, two or three times before she comes to life then let her idle a while before attempting to drive.

If this is normal then I will get used to not, but it doesn’t feel right, basically if feels like it won’t start then does, just about.

3 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

Come and chat with your local group (North London) this Thursday at The Red Lion, Hemel Hempstead, HP3 9TD

Jerry

Jerry, Harry has been in touch as well, so t think I can make this week as it’s my wife’s birthday.

what time do you meet and how often?

44 minutes ago, Scaf said:

I have had lots of classics, the latest has a 65 Mustang fitted with quad 48ida webers, two pumps of the throttle and she came to life with no choke.

I am bringing to realise that the TR6 is a different animal in that regard. I have to turn her over for what feels like far too long, two or three times before she comes to life then let her idle a while before attempting to drive.

If this is normal then I will get used to not, but it doesn’t feel right, basically if feels like it won’t start then does, just about.

Mine needs quite a lot of cranking if left for a while (weeks) That's even after leaving the pump to run for a generous period. However use it daily an it's pretty much "on the button"

44 minutes ago, Scaf said:

Two or three cranks of the starter sounds about right it you are using the car intermittently.  If you use the car daily then I find it’s one or two cranks.  Don’t expect these cars to start up like a carb car. 

Been looking on YouTube etc about the injectors so may pull them at the weekend to check and bleed.

Not found anything to show how to clean them, only replacement but will see how they look and perform and go from there.

Help and advice so far much appreciated 

sam

13 minutes ago, Scaf said:

Been looking on YouTube etc about the injectors so may pull them at the weekend to check and bleed.

Not found anything to show how to clean them, only replacement but will see how they look and perform and go from there.

Help and advice so far much appreciated 

sam

Don’t you would be better off talking with Jerry he will give you sound advice