Anti Rattle spring

Putting my front brakes together again and I am trying to wrk out how to mount the anti rattle spring. There seemws to be no locking to stop the spring falling out. Has anybody got a Photo of this spring correctly installed. By the way the pins have been inserted from the wrong side.

IMG_2458.jpg

Don't know those either. I used to have a piece of spring metal slightly curved and cutout into a "H" shape.

23 minutes ago, Peter Douglas Winn said:

I have found a picture of the ones that I have used in the past. Rimmers. Stag. Front brake parts = QP2740

Like these from a Scimitar https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133669544904?hash=item1f1f5363c8:g:LCkAAOSwORhd84CF  less the pins.

Stuart.

Exactly. I don't know where they came from. They were always with the car. I threw them away with the old calipers expecting to get new ones back again in the new complete caliper and pad set.

Hi there ,
this is the spring from an ATE mounting kit for Ford.
Belongs assembled as shown in the picture.
excellent function.

Many greetings
Ralf

1939247338_BremseATEFeder.thumb.JPG.4506776c613f570192551cbd69dec79e.JPG

Rlaf

I have printed your photo and will take it with me next time I go to my garage. If I turn my clip upside down it makes more sense. I could not understand how it did not fall out when being on the road or just rub on the disc. When you are working in a very badly lit garage, at some point in time, you cannot see the wood for the trees. Thanks.

Happiness is an Anti-rattle spring. Thanks everybody.

When levering the pistons out, penitrating oil helps inspite of no rust.

IMG_2463.jpg

My friend has been looking at this picture and his question is what stops the spring rotating away from the disc. Question 2 does this indirectly push the cylinders back into the Caliper and causing more brake pedal movement? His suggestion was, remove the clip completely as it was a standard part of a multi usage caliper. i.e. for Ford, MG,Rover etc. Triumph never had a clip on the early TR6.

That was what I was looking for at the start of this topic. I could not see any pin holes. What is the gereral opinion? Take them out because they may rotate or leave them in as nothing negative will happen?

I use wire clips as in the photo on this March 2010 post on the forum by 'nuts'. The wire clip can be made to fit the 1/4 inch pins. They fit around the pins and press on the top of the brake pads. But where I got them from I can't remember. The ones pictured in the present thread are the wrong type. There is nothing to hold them in place.

Keith

Further info. I have found what I think is the correct part. Either Delphi Lockheed brake fitting kit LX0174 or another part number PFK106.

https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/trw-accessory-kit-disc-brake-pads-pfk106-detail

From memory I had to open up the holes on the anti squeal shims to get them to fit without binding on the pins on my 4A but should fit without on a 6.

As an alternative I have in the past threaded a spring onto the pins between the pads. The spring just needs to be a bit longer than the gap between the metal parts of the pads. That worked quite well holding the pads back against the pistons. The spring should not be too strong though.

Keith

Edited by keith1948
more info
  • 2 weeks later...