TR4A Front Lower Suspension Mountings Reinforcement - Correct Positions

I've got the kit to strengthen the fulcrum mountings for the wishbones, but they didn't come with any fitting instructions or illustrations.  All I can find online is for the 4 (which is clearly different in front of the turret and 5/6 which also appears different with what appears to be additional steering rack support.

From my research, I believe the smaller bracket goes on the leading edge of the rear mounting and the two larger plates go on the front mounting, with the leading plate possibly angle forward to match the line of the body mounting bracket (but not sure why).  Also, note that the lower vertical element of the forwardmost brackets needs about an inch trimming off to clear the bumper iron.

Does anyone have instructions/pictures/illustrations before I start welding please?

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

do you still own a TR4A with the lower wishbones bolted to the frame with brackets with only 1 bolt?

In this case swap to TR6 brackets with 2 bolts and drill the needed holes therefore,

to safe you from pain and trouble!

Guess why I know…. (the first day of a 14 days holiday started so lovely….and ended so painful )

Ciao, Marco

This is on a 5 but basic principles apply the same to a 4a, the angle of the brackets is actually to enable clearance of the nut end of the inner wishbone mounting bolt.

Stuart.

1873408426_MarksTR5087.thumb.jpg.38f7c80182846aa96c48e3edb6466f45.jpg936475592_MarksTR5088.thumb.jpg.9202c8db6fae7ccd9f0f2beafa79ac37.jpg1734746569_MarksTR5089.thumb.jpg.ba3e90476089ab4e10eeb40bde9948c9.jpg

8 minutes ago, stuart said:

on a 5 but basic principles apply the same to a 4a

Thanks Stuart.  As you say similar on a 5, but your steering rack mounting are completely different so fitting the second plate on the front mounting is more of a challenge.  I have been told to simply leave it off on a 4A - but if you don't need it, why is it supplied?

11 minutes ago, KiwiDave said:

Thanks Stuart.  As you say similar on a 5, but your steering rack mounting are completely different so fitting the second plate on the front mounting is more of a challenge.  I have been told to simply leave it off on a 4A - but if you don't need it, why is it supplied?

I would fit it just to be sure, similar to the rear, just make sure you have clearance for the bolt and if required trim the lower edge to clear the irons, you can never have too much re-enforcing ;)

Stuart.

36 minutes ago, stuart said:

I would fit it just to be sure, similar to the rear, just make sure you have clearance for the bolt and if required trim the lower edge to clear the irons, you can never have too much re-enforcing ;)

Stuart.

+1

yes, indeed you should check this!

Dave - this is my take on fitting the strengthening brackets on my 4A chassis - I’ve added a few extra strengthening fillets to further support the new brackets as total belt and braces

ive also boxed in the front body mount as I’ve always felt that looked particularly weak.

You are also correct about shortening the front reinforcing bracket because you won’t be able to fit the bumper support bracket if you dont

cheers Rich 

37ABD99B-A20F-4629-BD54-B99ADFAECA52.jpeg

89C2CD8E-E3C6-4C22-A832-9DCF3064BCDB.jpeg

747F87A3-FC8C-4554-9626-37EFDB81A977.jpeg