Overdrive dropping out

Hi All.

After completing the RBRR on the way home the next day the overdrive kept dropping out when cold, after 10 miles or so it worked perfectly. Any ideas where to start looking ? I haven't checked anything yet in the oil,even.

Cheers Mark.

Electrical. It's almost always electrical but you will have to take off the tunnel cover to get to all the wiring. Start at the swich and follow the wires, you might get lucky.

Jerry

Hi Mark,

if none of the simple things work then consider disconnecting the OD Logic box and install a fly lead switch - to eliminate he Logic box.

Before that - check that the gearstick rubber gaiter is not pressing on the gear stick

Does it also drop out in third gear.

Roger

PS - having re-read the question it doesn't sound like any of the above

Edited by RogerH
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All.

Quick update, had a proper look at the car today. I managed to put in a dribble of oil in the gearbox but even before that it worked perfectly. I'm wondering if Neil is right and it was water ingress ? 

Time will tell, cheers Mark.

1 hour ago, marki said:

Hi All.

Quick update, had a proper look at the car today. I managed to put in a dribble of oil in the gearbox but even before that it worked perfectly. I'm wondering if Neil is right and it was water ingress ? 

Time will tell, cheers Mark.

Mark

It was a old trick that even dealers did way back , that was to seal the relay at that time with bitumen nowadays there is alternatives however condensation if in there it will not last long good luck 

My O/D dropped in and out on the motorway. I found the relay metal cover had come loose and after every bump it was shorting out the O/D. I found a rubber band, and this held it in place for the next 6 hours.

On 10/8/2021 at 5:46 PM, marki said:

Hi Neil.

Trust me there was a lot of water.

thanks Mark

I did the RBRR and tend to agree with that.

I lost O/D on the Run but it turned out to be a loose relay. The casing earths via the bulkhead screws, as opposed to a separate earth lead, so always worth checking for tightness.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...