Tr3A complete knocked down kit

Hi

I am looking at TR3A for sale that started its life as a complete knocked down kit in Durban South Africa in 1958. It is now UK registered. Apart from slightly different trim and a SA-specific paint job, it looks very sound. 

Are there any mechanical downsides  to buying a car which started life as a Kit? Anything to look out for?

thanks

Paul C

Having seen a few of those CKD cars you will find they often tend to be a Bitsa as even on cars that should be a 3a you often find TR2 parts fitted. For tax reasons there was a certain amount of "Local" content as well so there will be odd trim etc. You`ll have to satisfy yourself as to how good the car is now as it will have been restored at some point and sometimes SA restos leave a lot to be desired, get someone who knows the cars to go with you to check it out is the best idea.

Stuart.

Very odd bonnet fittings with the pins and rubbers and no spring lifter, no heater and poor paint underbonnet, including the underside of the bonnet being black along with the inside of the boot, odd gauges and knobs in the dash, early sidescreen mountings and even earlier placing of the lift the dot studs across the scuttle (early TR2 Type) strange rear cockpit tank board and interesting gear lever surround, odd trim mix, boot lid different colour to rear deck, odd bonnet hinges and incorrect boot hinges, no underside pictures so a good MK1 eyeball needed.

Stuart.

12 hours ago, stuart said:

Very odd bonnet fittings with the pins and rubbers and no spring lifter, no heater and poor paint underbonnet, including the underside of the bonnet being black along with the inside of the boot, odd gauges and knobs in the dash, early sidescreen mountings and even earlier placing of the lift the dot studs across the scuttle (early TR2 Type) strange rear cockpit tank board and interesting gear lever surround, odd trim mix, boot lid different colour to rear deck, odd bonnet hinges and incorrect boot hinges, no underside pictures so a good MK1 eyeball needed.

Stuart.

From that description I doubt it would be a 1958 CKD car. It is probably a bitsa car made from wrecks.

The very early TR2 scuttle with the pegs under the windscreen are very rare, only used on the first 1200 or so TR2s. I had to research this when restoring my long door car as Jon Skinner sent me the early tonneau as his records were incorrect.

6 hours ago, John McCormack said:

From that description I doubt it would be a 1958 CKD car. It is probably a bitsa car made from wrecks.

The very early TR2 scuttle with the pegs under the windscreen are very rare, only used on the first 1200 or so TR2s. I had to research this when restoring my long door car as Jon Skinner sent me the early tonneau as his records were incorrect.

No its just a typical SA CKD they all look like bitsa as they tended to mix up parts from different models, its not a 2 bulkhead its just that theyve located the lift the dot pegs in the early position forward of the capping, it was moved on later cars to facilitate easier fitting of the tonneau.

Stuart.

16 hours ago, stuart said:

No its just a typical SA CKD they all look like bitsa as they tended to mix up parts from different models, its not a 2 bulkhead its just that theyve located the lift the dot pegs in the early position forward of the capping, it was moved on later cars to facilitate easier fitting of the tonneau.

Stuart.

Thanks for that. I would have expected the tenax or lift the dot peg holes would have been pre drilled. They built a 100 or so CKD TR3s here which were pretty well made from the ones I've seen.

7 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Thanks for that. I would have expected the tenax or lift the dot peg holes would have been pre drilled. They built a 100 or so CKD TR3s here which were pretty well made from the ones I've seen.

SA quality control was a bit flakey to say the least. Plus some of the restorations since also leave a lot to be desired.

Stuart.