Tr4 runs hot in slow trafic

Hi Chaps

My 1961 TR4  w/ remote radiator filler cap has two positions , at the moment it's in the forward position making it about 50mm (2") away from the fan, if I bring it back to the other holes would be about 20 mm ( fan to radiator) that would keep it cooler , anybody know the correct position?--Barry

Hi Barry,

I take it that you have the mechanical fan still in place.  If so these are not the best aerodynamic propellers ever designed.

Closer the better for these.

If you have not already done so consider an electric fan - these tend to work far better.

What is the condition of the radiator - has it been cleaned/rebuilt etc etc.

Roger

I found that the only time Became overly-anxious about the temperature of my 4 was when sitting in a traffic jam or very slow-moving traffic for a while - obviously more of  concern during hot spells (which we had more of this summer)

The std 4-blade fan was - in my view - never going to cope very well with my commute which would often involve stop-start slow moving traffic.

simplest way to address this for me was to fit an electric fan - I chose a SPAL with a Revotec variable controller mounted in a boss in the water return pipe, with a manual override switch. All wired from an auxiliary fuse box so as not to add extra load to the existing loom.

this works really nicely, fan very rarely operates with normal driving, and comes on/off when in traffic exactly as I expected without any overheating worries. Importantly, the temp comes down quickly with the more efficient design of the electric fan.

my radiator is mounted with the holes that bring it closest to the cowling as the fan is mounted directly on the back.

Personally, it has worked out well for my needs.

........ Andy 

Edited by AndyR100

Hi Barry

I have had one of the yellow 8 blade plastic fan blades as fitted to TR5/TR250 for last 30 years on my 4A. I have driven in France in temperatures close to 40C. Car has never overheated. The car was ex California so I guess the previous owner fitted it to improve air flow through the radiator in that climate.

Keith

1 hour ago, keith1948 said:

Hi Barry

I have had one of the yellow 8 blade plastic fan blades as fitted to TR5/TR250 for last 30 years on my 4A. I have driven in France in temperatures close to 40C. Car has never overheated. The car was ex California so I guess the previous owner fitted it to improve air flow through the radiator in that climate.

Keith

Same fan as I have in my 4a, copes perfectly well. Mines ex USA and its a popular mod over there.

Stuart.