RBRR - economy & minor woes

Arrived home last night after successfully completing the RBRR, a truly fantastic experience and one I hope to repeat. My car normally delivers c.22mpg, I had planned on seeing around 24mpg on the run due to the lengthy A road/Motorway stretches but I was very pleasantly surprised to see that it returned 28mpg over 2014 miles, I can assure you that no "pootling about" was involved at any time.

Issues: We had three, none that prevented us from proceeding

1. Interior lights going off occasionally, unfortunately that meant the rear lights were doing the same, problem was a weak fuse holder in the repro fusebox, the judicious use of some tinfoil strengthened the connection without further incidence.

2. The Lucas A127 alternator was only putting out 12.2v, swapped it for a spare A127 to find same results. I've always been a bit dubious about these alternators as they are simply too cheap to be very good, I carried a spare voltage regulator for them, swapped that out and all is well, seeing 14v+

3. On the home stretch, 25 miles to go on the M25 when the throttle cable snapped, I made it to the hard shoulder and fitted one of my spare cables, drama over and we were able to finish the run.

Ian

Fantastic.  Interesting the 2500TC saloon I prepped for my cousin to run did 28.5 mpg for the RBRR this year. They were also driving enthusiasticly. Then even overtook me in the TR6 on the way into JOG 

:-)