Hello from new TR4 owner in Yorkshire

Hi all

Hi all
New member JDC_747 here.

Joined the forum a little bit back, great resource for all things TR4. Recently bought a Wedgewood Blue 1965 TR4, and wow! what a great car. Sound chassis, all paint & panels in reasonable condition but is in need to some TLC. We have a couple of other classic cars in the family, but the TR4 is my new baby and I love it. It's never gonna be a show-winner but just has so much style and character. Plan is to use it as my (almost) daily driver.

Having read a bucket load of posts on here over a few weeks, I was scratching my head about where to start so first thing was to install an alu firewall and roll bar. Then I stripped out the dash, did some rewiring, changed to -ve earth and fitted Dynamator, and replaced the instruments with some fantastic magnolia ones from Ricky, one of the forum members. Electronic ignition, carb balancing etc next - providing the rain stops. And that reminds me, currently chasing down a leak into drivers footwell, windscreen sealing rubber is the current prime suspect.

I could go on and on - I love this car - but I'll sign off by saying thanks to all the knowledgeable chaps on here who have provided so much useful info and insights so far. There's likely to be be a load of basic and possibly daft questions coming your way so I'll say thanks in advance.

JDC

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-02 at 19.35.00 (5).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-02 at 19.35.00.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-02 at 19.35.00 (3).jpeg

• JDC_747 changed the title to Hello from new TR4 owner in Yorkshire

Looks a nice car. Rain leaking into the footwell could also be a rust hole in the plenum chamber - water gets in via the vent flap, and there should be a drain at each end but they can get clogged, so the water does what it does best...

Welcome to the forum!

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for the welcome!

Yes, plenum rot is a common problem from what I've read, but checked the plenum and the pipes and connectors, all OK there and water just about drains as it should. Also new vent flap rubber sorted a few weeks ago. Atrocious fit though, trimmed it, fettled it etc, took ages.

Though a late TR4, the car looks like a TR4A from the side as the PO fitted 4A side trim and lights a decade or 2 ago, hence the cross-over look. 

Nice looking car

You might find you regret the Dynamator as theyre not very long lived in the heat of the engine bay.

Stuart.

Welcome to our forum.

Yes a lovely looking car, and clearly you plan to 'Get stuck in'

Ask anything here, plan to go to a local group meet, and catch up with like minded folk,

Let us have a christian name, we are such a friendly crowd.

John.

Welcome from another TR4 owner. My nut and bolt resto took me a lot longer than

I think yours will. The car looks like a good basis for the renovation / updating.

Good luck with it. Daft questions are the Forum's specialty ...... we relish a challenge.

Experienced owners / restorers are people who have asked lots of daft questions in the past.

Bob

Hi all

Firstly, sorry John, first name is Jeremy, often called Jezza (and many other things by Mrs C) but I'm not sure I've really taken to that! You're right I will be getting stuck in but thankfully I know my limitations!

Stuart - yes, Dynamator frying is a risk as I understand it but I've fabricated a massive double-skinned dimpled aluminium heatshield worthy of Concorde so hopefully that'll help.

Malbaby - thanks, I guess the photos flatter it a bit but it's basically a pretty sound car I think.

Hi Bob. I Thankfully don't think I need a full resto, lots of respect to you and others who take on that task. Would be a bit beyond me I think. As said to Malbaby basically an OK car, just needs some routine work plus the inevitable running repairs as I use it. And yes, daft questions are my speciality :lol:.

cheers all

Jeremy

Jeremy, if you have put a double-skinned dimpled alloy heat shield around your dynamotor,  it's going to be very obvious and clear that it's not a dynamo, so you might as well fit an alternator and, as Stuart (an exceedingly wise and experienced fellow) states, avoid problems.

In addition, you will gain the benefit of a greater electrical output at low engine revs, which is a great help in inclement weather when everything electrical is switched on.

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian

I did weigh up all the pros and cons discussed on various forum threads, tbh what attracted me was a straight swap with no messing (other than some tin snips for the alloy sheet) and it was just an hour under the bonnet. And you're right of course, the big shiny sheet by the manifold screams Dynamator.

I do defer to those with far more experience than me but it seems some others have had success with this as well. Famous last words possibly...

Jeremy

Thanks Jase, I did another daily use POC run today, no problems apparent as yet. Slight lean to starboard at the back so time to check out the lever arm shock first. I have some tractor oil of some sort for the Midget Armstrongs, works a treat so here we go again.

Hello Jeremy! Is that the Revington fuel tank fire barrier kit? I installed one in my 65 TR4A, and was very pleased with the kit. Don’t forget to add fire stop sealant to all the seems.

cheers

Jim

FE89C6B8-D3B0-4FD0-BA82-66BDFBE24F1F.jpeg

Hi Jim, yes it is the Revington one. Fitted quite nicely after a little trimming. The pic I posted was work in progress, it's now riveted every 25mm or so and sealed with intumescent gloop. Same 3M product as yours I think, but mine was white. Then stuck some sound deadening panels on it and hey presto done.

Did I see you pulling into The Motorist at Sherburn on Sunday afternoon?.  If it was you I was in the green TR3 just leaving.

Ralph

Hi Ralph

No, wasn't me, I was under the bonnet on Sunday. Nice to hear from another Yorkie TR4, not far from me either!

Jeremy