TR5 Gearbox number

I have got a 1968 TR5 PI, CKD model, build in MALINES Belgium. I have a lot of documents and  have never found any gearbox modifications.

so I'm very surprised to find this gearbox number : D16L70

Have you got an explication for that?( normally CD....)

thanks a lot

Dominique from FRANCE

n° boite.jpg

Isn't that raised numbering just the casting number?  The box number is stamped, I believe it is usually on the left side on the clutch shaft lug.

Edited by RobH
typo
2 hours ago, Dominique said:

but if it is replaced, it was surely a TR6 gearbox and this is not a TR6 gearbox number...

Replacement boxes dont necessarily have the original letter coding and if it was replaced by Malines then they may well have used their own numbering.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, RobH said:

Isn't that raised numbering just the casting number?  The box number is stamped, I believe it is usually on the left side on the clutch shaft lug.

The ones illustrated are stamped and it looks like thats the right place too. This is from a Malines built 5 as well, notice the numbers at the bottom also show a date.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 667.jpg