'Original' number plates

I'm coming to the end of a long restoration project. The car is a Grinnall TR7 V8 converted in 1990. I have the number plates which came on it when I bought it as a project in 2007 which I believe are those put on by Grinnalls as they have their logo, name, address and phone number in small print on the bottom of the rear plate. However the reg number characters are 60mm high and 43mm wide, clearly not legal by today's rules, but would they have been legal in 1990 and more to the point, would it fail an MoT today if I put it back on the car.

The front plate has been replaced at some point and does conform to current standards although I must admit I would like to have a plate that fitted the TR7/8 bumper indent/plinth whatever you call it, which UK plates overhang. How do the WRC boys get away with those miniscule plates some of them wear?

Keith

Just get a cheap set of plates for the MOT and put your nice ones back on when the car has passed. The police won't be interested as it would involve paperwork, the only time they make a fuss about this sort of thing is when kids are racing their Astra around a housing estate, and if in the unlikely event that it ever comes up just say "these are the plates that came with the car from new"

George