GB sticker replaced by UK sticker for foreign travel

Don't know if others have missed this one like I had but from Sept 28th the GB id plate will no longer be legal and a UK plate will be required instead for foreign travel. If you have the letters GB on the back of your car then you should replace them with the letters UK. Not sure whether you also need to remove the old fashioned individual GB letters or not. Maybe others could advise. There are exceptions for number plates with silver letters on black backgrounds for classic cars but not sure of the position if you have the old fashioned GB letters.

Keith

Discussed in a previous thread some time back Keith.

You don't need to remove GB letters but you must display UK as well.  The easiest way might be a magnetic one. 

Nothing to do with Brexit Chris. The labels are a UN thing not EU  - and this was a unilateral decision by UK government for whatever reason. 

I wonder how much licence our 'old' cars will be given at border posts etc.

LNK has an old RAC GB plate, been on the car forever 

I intend to buy a magnetic one as suggested by RobH and cover my GB one if necessary 

11 hours ago, North London Mike said:

I wonder how much licence our 'old' cars will be given at border posts etc.

Not a lot at the France/Belgium border, in my experience.

Some years ago the Belgian police had a nice little racket going where they sold me, at a ‘special’ price, the requisite F which I had omitted to put on my car.

james

Edited by james christie
19 hours ago, RobH said:

Nothing to do with Brexit Chris. The labels are a UN thing not EU  - and this was a unilateral decision by UK government for whatever reason. 

Rob, are you 100% sure it has nothing to do with the sort off "frontier" (or lack off ?) somewhere between Ulster, IR and UK ?

I'm sub zero when it's about this kind of knowledge, but I've read this somewhere (might be here, btw !).

There may be vague connection as a trigger but there is no requirement for it either from the EU agreement or the UN.

It seems to be just a political signal on behalf of the Government, to make it clear to all that NI is a part of the UK and to address what I believe has been for years a sore point with many in Ulster; in having to have 'GB' on their cars when they are not actually part of GB. 

Before anybody shouts at me, in the next issue of TR Action in "nowhere's far in a TR", I mention the rumours of the change from GB to UK plate on the rear of your TR when taking it outside the UK. However, at the time of writing the UK government website still stated the need for a GB plate, with no mention of a UK plate. The website was subsequently updated: https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers

Life moves faster than the printed word.

Mick

1 hour ago, Chris59 said:

"If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it before driving outside the UK"  :blink:

Interesting. Some sources are saying you can keep the GB badge 'providing' you have a UK one as well, no mention of removing it ? 

My plan is still to carry a magnetic UK one to cover my metal GB badge as and when required...........However, having just come back from Angouleme (just before the rule change) and I doubt I'll be back in EU land much before May/ June, I'm hoping the dust may have settled after 9+ months ?

17 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

Before anybody shouts at me, in the next issue of TR Action in "nowhere's far in a TR", I mention the rumours of the change from GB to UK plate on the rear of your TR when taking it outside the UK. However, at the time of writing the UK government website still stated the need for a GB plate, with no mention of a UK plate. The website was subsequently updated: https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers

Life moves faster than the printed word.

Mick

Hi Mick

Just read this on the gov.uk website link you quoted.....

"You do not need a UK sticker or number plate to drive in Ireland." 

Somehow I don't think they mean what they have written. I remember learning how to write correct English in junior school. As far as I am aware you do need a number plate wherever you drive including Ireland. It would also be more precise if they said Republic of Ireland.

It also states ..........

"If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it before driving outside the UK."

Presumably then if you have the older style chrome GB letters you don't need to cover those because they are not a sticker and you don't have to cover GB if it is on the left side of your number plate.

It also says the flag and identifier letters can be on the left side of the number plate but then goes on to say the flag and letters cannot be on the number plate margin.

About as clear as mud.

Keith

21 hours ago, North London Mike said:

Interesting. Some sources are saying you can keep the GB badge 'providing' you have a UK one as well, no mention of removing it ? 

My plan is still to carry a magnetic UK one to cover my metal GB badge as and when required...........However, having just come back from Angouleme (just before the rule change) and I doubt I'll be back in EU land much before May/ June, I'm hoping the dust may have settled after 9+ months ?

Mike, I was only quoting the link provide by Mick, and, sincerely, hope you are right about the dust ;)

Edited by Chris59

This was a decision by our government to have it changed from GB to UK. That applies whether or not the country you are driving in abroad is in the EU or not.

Another Boris special to persuade us to take off the number plates with GB on within the EU flag? Erase all reminders of our past membership of the EU. Psychology for simpletons. Obviously all of the nations of the UK will feel so much more united by a car sticker!

Since its only useful in other countries, who will only understand the ISO code, GB, which was chosen because it works in French (Grande Bretange), German (GrossBrittanien), Dutch (Groot Brittanië), Spanish (Gran Bretaña) Etc., Etc. why bother?   The police of those countries will not give a fig, or a merde, or a scheisse, or anything else.

Edited by john.r.davies