Replacing front shock absorbers

TR4A Front shock absorber replacement

Driving down a street in a built up area I got a noise reflection which I didn’t recognise

At home I did a quick inspection and just pushed the front wing down : it returned when released but continued to bounce up and down if only briefly

Question when did I last think front shock absorbers?

Next was what to do: I spent a quick internet search for the available alternatives also I didn’t remember what was in the car already but they had been there for some years and weren’t replaced when I did some body off welding … some years ago. Answer Gaz Spax adjustables.

Next I looked through my garage for “stock” – usually stuff I had replaced and not thrown away.

I found a couple of old Koni adjustable front shockers

They can be refurbished – so I sent them off. Nearly as expensive as buying new but not quite.

When I put them in I found the car much improved over the local potholes.

Is it time to review shocks?

MichaelH

I had Koni shocks on my 1988 Commodore Turbo. They were still in excellent condition when I sold it after 250000km. So I fitted Konis to the replacement 1995 V8 Commodore when it had done 100000km on the original factory shocks. I sold it last month with 315000km and again still in perfect condition. I have telescopic Konis front and rear on the 4A. I think that good quality shock absorbers are at least as important as the springs.