Miele Washing machine

I like to repair things in the house and the garden. The TR is all running well and starts every time.

However in the house I have a week-end with the Miele Washing Machine. Honeycomb Care no.2444 The drain did block once last year, and a comprehensive clean up fixed it. This time the clean  water will pump out into the sink and there is some small black debris which is not causing any blockage.However if I choose a drain/spin option it does not finish. The water pumps out strong and clean but when it moves to spin the machine shudders a bit and then stops.

It looks like a new machine but this one has worked every day for years and new machines are a bit costly. Is there anyone there with any experience who can give me some advice which is my preferred option.  If it looks to be too difficult I may need a budget engineer in East Sussex  BN8 area please

Thank for any help.

Richard & B

Richard,

Possibly the bearing that the drum spins on. It may be OK at slow speed wash cycle, but with the higher spin cycle it could cause the drum to wobble. We have a low cost machine and even that has an “Out of balance” sensor which switches the machine off if it starts to wobble.

You could try to see if there is any play in the bearing.

Easy fix?

I don’t think it’s too difficult, and the bits would be cheapish. I bet there is a you tube tutorial on how to do it.

Charlie

Hi Richard

Do you run the machine on cool washes frequently?

Miele recommend a hot wash on fairly regular basis otherwise one of the drains blocks with fatty deposits. ( This is a common failing due to cold wash in most machines)Easy to fix, but. Side panel off job. Not one I’ve done but having run Miele for 20 years plus I’ve seen the engineer fix it. Personally I would get Miele out, they can run a diagnostic test and tell you exactly how many hrs the machine has run since new etc and advise accordingly. I believe bearings are guaranteed for 10000hrs on their machines.

Iain

Edited by iain
36 minutes ago, Malcolm Tatton said:

When our machine had the similar symptoms it was the drum dampers that had failed. It would wash and empty but as soon as it began to spin the vibration was too much and it stopped. Presume there is some some of imbalance sensor.

Unlike my Mums Bendix that walked across the kitchen when it went off balance!

Stuart.

I have tried for hours to find a bad connection or a failing switch. I have made no progress and we are  now looking at a new machine. Has anyone any experience of a Samsung machine and the best way to order

Please let me know if anything went wrong for anyone ?

Thanks

Hi Richard,

we have just installed a Blomberg washing machine. The previous machine was also a blomberg and worked very well for eleven years.

The new one is very good, silent and not silly expensive.  7Kg load.

The parent company (Beko) also make for Samsung.

Roger

17 hours ago, Chris59 said:

Old washing machine parts are always worth keeping. 

Ask @Kiwifrog, he knows how to built a VWW, ie a "VolksWagenWhirlpool" :lol:

I just provided the parts you provided the mechanical genius to create a VW with a sixth gear spin cycle :D

If you make your purchase from a Euronics dealership or online they will deliver  for free.  There is a small charge for delivery if purchasing online and a they will takeaway your old item.

On 9/25/2021 at 4:30 PM, Chris59 said:

Old washing machine parts are always worth keeping. 

I’ve salvaged parts from several washing machines in the past. There are dozens of useful bits that you may need some day.

The top of the machine is usually tray-shaped. Seal the corners and put it under your TR to catch the drips.

The drain pump can be used to empty a garden pond.

There’s often quite usable lengths of coloured wire to be salvaged (Often with push on connectors attached.)

The base (With the castors attached) can be used, with a piece of plywood on top, as a trolley to move your gearbox about.

Finally (although I’ve never tried it) you could cut the front door in half and make a pair of aero-screens.

Possibilities are endless.

Charlie.

Stay away from a Lucas one. Not sure I’d trust them with the water and elec in the same unit. But the spin cycle is quite good 

In same boat a few years ago and after chatting to a old time service engineer with over 40 years experience advised Miele are not made as well as they used to be and its pot luck if they last 10 years.

Advised buying a Panasonic or Samsung for around a third of the price and if they make it to 5 years its a bonus. Then if and when they do let go try a cheap fix if not replace, still cheaper than Miele ownership and likely more efficient as you keep pace with technology.

I had a Panasonic for past 4 years with no issues. Fingers crossed.

Andy

2 minutes ago, PodOne said:

and likely more efficient as you keep pace with technology.

Andy

I have to agree with the advances in machine spec etc.

A couple of months back I replaced an 11 year old Blomberg (which was very nice when new)  with a new Blomberg.  Bigger tub, easier controls and as silent as the grave.  Excellent product.  If it lasts another 11 years then I will be happy.

Roger

When I was at secondary school, in the 60s, my Mum had a new Bendix washing machine.  She still had when Dad retired, in fact I think she did when they moved out of the family home ten years later.   It must have been at least thirty years old.

Yes they were good. I had a Bendix for 20+ years, but by the time it finally needed replacement a few years ago the firm was no longer in business.