valve springs assembly

Hi there,

on my old spare egiine I always wondered about the valve springs, they are much wider than the collar...

Yesterday I dismantled one of them and found both springs do not fit to the collar at all. the springs are too wide - or the collar too small...

NHE4IGbmHEraQKjf-OFRfQeIPd1FMxcQwkOBmWbj

Also T found a not expected small metal ring slack on top of the valve guide and a hardened washer below the springs.

I don't find them on the catalogue of the typical suppliers?

Any idea?

Marcco

TR2 / 3 / 4   valve springs are a larger diameter than later TR4A springs.  your collars are probaly TR4A, & the springs earlier.

Do the springs fit nicely into the recess in the head ? - they should.

Bob

Your steel washer is in the recess, which is only as deep as the washer thickness, probably to allow the larger springs to sit flat.

I would guess that you have a 4A head, with 4A collars, but TR4 (or earlier) springs.

Bob

The part that is circled looks like a valve guide seal that has hardened over time. it is not supposed to be there, but with the mix and match of parts I guess the previous owner also worked on MGs thought it to be a good idea to add them.

Hi Andy,

you are right, what I thought is a metal ring was a hardened rubber ring, it broke in pieces.

I cannot imagine how this ever worked as a seal...?

Bob,

the recess is about 2 mm deep (?), it's mainly the cast iron leveled to give the spring a flat surface?

its diameter fits exactly the diamater of the spring, the washer is smaller (as visible on the photo above) 

and does not fit to any diameter of both springs?

I decide what to do when I have the other springs out but tend to let the washer (s) out.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
16 minutes ago, Z320 said:

Hi Andy,

you are right, what I thought is a metal ring was a hardened rubber ring, it broke in pieces.

I cannot imagine how this ever worked as a seal...?

The seal would work when the valve was fully open and prevent the oil that collected on the valve stem from being sucked through the valve guide and into the combustion chamber. The simple "o" ring style were replaced by the better "umbrella" style.

Better explanation here: https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/ch202.htm

290-901_1.jpg