+1 for Zim...41 years and counting.

Mick Richards

..and I notice these con rods have gone up by almost £100.00 a set in 3 years.  Still cheap compared to a full set of lightened, balanced, shot peened  genuine Standard Triumph con rods fitted with Unbrako cap screws.

Peter W

I considered buying a set of these when I did my recent engine rebuild but then thought “why?”

I don’t go racing and tend to limit my revs to 4500 so the standard TR item should be good enough. Also they add no bling value because I would be the only person who knows they are there. 

I did however have the crank and entire rotating assembly balanced and I do have a lightened flywheel. 

Rgds Ian

I have gone with them on mine on the basis that they haven’t had 60 years of use/stress of the originals. 
It was also suggested that old rods are more likely to go than an old crank when pushed a bit ??!

but there are sooooo many 4 pots out there still running on original gear it shouldn’t be a worry either way.

I chose to go with them when my TR4 engine was stripped down and it turned out that one of the existing conrods was slightly warped, sufficiently that it could/should not be reused. As Pete says above when the costs are compared with the alternatives they are good value. 

Kastner we used to change the rods every 2 races, and that was with a 5000 Rev limit.

Mick Richards

On 9/29/2021 at 9:41 AM, roger murray-evans said:

You are right Roy,

I used the MSRods but with 89mm liners in an early (non cam bearing) block.All the rods hit their respective liners and had to be relieved.(2 had already had a small lump chipped off whilst carefully rotating the crank!) It could be that the sources for the liners varies from supplier to supplier and have a longer spigot?.Mine came from TRGB.

Roger M-E

I think there is only the one regular supplier of these, unless any of the race boys had machined a smaller liner.

It could be that some blocks have had been machined to repair/remove corrosion the area where the Fo8 gaskets sit and thus the liner sits lower in relation to the crank?

On 11/2/2021 at 12:36 PM, Motorsport Mickey said:

A Draper one arrive 3 days later   and was a significantly better device 

How bad was your original !

Mick Richards

Hi Mick. a nice vertical crack that opened up  under load, a good heave would have broken it   the ebay purchase was just the job though

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 12:36 PM, Motorsport Mickey said:

A Draper one arrive 3 days later   and was a significantly better device 

How bad was your original !

Mick Richards

It slipped ever time i tapped the piston, the Draper version was streets ahead in quality

rgds

steve

• 2 years later...

I have used these for a few seasons now and no complaints, free revving and well balanced and the bores are good.

a better option than 60 year old originals imho.

There’s a set on my shelf ‘just in case’   The H beam rods look a bit modern motorbike.   They work fine though.

Maybe not as nice to look at as a properly re-worked, lightened and balanced set of original rods though.