You can't tell stupid people not to panic buy......

6 hours ago, RobH said:

Sort of snookers anyone with a motorbike then....B)

not if you get a real bike........

i had a BMW1150GS adventure  that had a 30litre tank !!!

bloody heavy it was too

5 minutes ago, barkerwilliams said:

Pre-emptive strike.

Others panic buy, I make the rational, informed decision that others will panic buy; therefore I choose to buy first whilst stocks last.

Alan

Well known, it’s called “ a tragedy of reason”.
No one can argue that knowing the commodity is hard to get hold off you have to protect yourself from the unreasonable actions of others. The tragedy is that means you also have to buy fuel, sometimes earlier than you would normally buy, hence your actions reinforce the unthinking actions of the masses.

Mick Richards

I'll have to admit our daily driver was 90% full & I topped it up. Mind you it's fully electric & takes 3½ hours to add that from a 13amp domestic socket in my garage. Is range anxiety the same as panic buying? :rolleyes:

I went out today and noticed that two garages I passed had no queues, just half'ish of the pumps with cars taking fuel. When I mentioned it to my wife who had been out today she had passed four stations similarly selling fuel with no queues. Neither of us saw either queues or closed stations.

To plagurise a movie quote; For us Tommy the panic is over.

Maybe most drivers regard refuelling as a distress purchase and buy a quarter tank at a time, just enough to get them by. Then when a shortage threatens they brim the tank. A temporary shortage at the pumps is guaranteed. Or so Grant Shapps hopes....

Maybe its time for censorship to prevent the media whipping up public anxiety for no good reason as clearly they are unable to be sensible any time soon. 

The BBC are now also no better than the rest, long gone is its role as a public service broadcaster of reliable information but then there no shortage of public money for them to waste on trivial ****. Garbage in equals garbage out.

Complete storm in a teacup unworthy of anyones sensible time but unfortunately a few idiots make it a pain for the majority of sensible folk or perhaps sensible are now a minority species.

Andy

24 minutes ago, Bluestone said:

The media know what they are doing.....it's called the power of suggestion.

Absolutely and I’m sure we have a few suggestions for them most not printable on here!

I've heard locally that a woman drew up to the pump and put in £1.95 worth of fuel after queuing. This was probably the amount of fuel used to get from home to the garage. Presumably when she got home would she then turn round and go back to 'top it up' again. Surely not you say.........

Also read somewhere that one person was filling a carrier bag with fuel. Never mind that this is an idiotic thing to do anyway but how would they fill the car from a carrier bag and how would they transport the bag of petrol?

I dread the approach of Christmas. We are already promised a shortage of turkeys and Christmas trees and empty supermarket shelves together with the worst winter in living memory if you believe the media.

Keith

The media like to demonstrate their ability to sway public opinion. This "crisis" is a very powerful demonstration of that. It sells advertising space across all forms of media. Sadly the BBC jump on the bandwagon, a sad demise of a once great organisation for good tv and radio news. I used to stay up to watch the 10 o'clock news, now I feel so much better going to bed at 10 o'clock and having a good read. Far less depressing and I don't need to shout at the tv anymore. Karma restored.

Mick

20 hours ago, PodOne said:

perhaps sensible are now a minority species.

Unfortunately common sense is far from being common.

Pete

14 hours ago, keith1948 said:

I've heard locally that a woman drew up to the pump and put in £1.95 worth of fuel after queuing. This was probably the amount of fuel used to get from home to the garage. Presumably when she got home would she then turn round and go back to 'top it up' again. Surely not you say.........

Also read somewhere that one person was filling a carrier bag with fuel. Never mind that this is an idiotic thing to do anyway but how would they fill the car from a carrier bag and how would they transport the bag of petrol?

Another woman was filmed emptying a litre bottle of water and then filling it with petrol!

Pete

2 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

The media like to demonstrate their ability to sway public opinion. This "crisis" is a very powerful demonstration of that. It sells advertising space across all forms of media. Sadly the BBC jump on the bandwagon, a sad demise of a once great organisation for good tv and radio news. I used to stay up to watch the 10 o'clock news, now I feel so much better going to bed at 10 o'clock and having a good read. Far less depressing and I don't need to shout at the tv anymore. Karma restored.

Mick

Mower is empty tried Syphoning it from the TR7 dare not take a can to the petrol station.

Media flexing muscle.  
Apart from early to bed what the solution, any suggestions.

19 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Mower is empty tried Syphoning it from the TR7 dare not take a can to the petrol station.

Sounds to me like a damn good excuse not to mow the lawn. 

The 4 was on its last fumes so went to the local Shell more in hope than expectation..... the V-Power pumps were all closed off but regular unleaded and diesel available with a relatively short queue (despite what the newsfeeds tell you about the South East)

i was quite prepared to fill with regular unleaded (E10) when a gentleman came over from the station and asked if I usually run E5 - I said yes but I has resigned myself to using regular. 

Imagine my surprise when he smiled, said he couldn’t let me do that to the car, and whispered ‘we’ve got enough V-Power left for occasions like this!’  ...and unlocked the pump. 

Personal and thoughtful service in the middle of all this silliness - top marks to their team.

........ Andy