You can't tell stupid people not to panic buy......

Panic buy ?

At last, we, in France, know why so many toilet paper rolls were sold during first confinement.....

(Yes, it is Paris' "Arc de Triomphe")

image.png.7b673eff9343521e3d575bd5ced5cfc4.png

Edited by Chris59

perhaps the BBC do have a sense of humour after all!

Tim

IMG-20210925-WA0000.thumb.jpg.a8edc8a078c663480af83b198531dc61.jpg

24 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Surely the above is illegal?

Thought you could only keep 10 litres without proper licensed facilities?

John.

Yep, absolutely correct!

45 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Surely the above is illegal?

Thought you could only keep 10 litres without proper licensed facilities?

John.

He might be buying for a group of blood delivery motorcyclists or similar... or he might just be a selfish w***er.

Pete

54 minutes ago, Hamish said:

up to 30 litre domestically i believe

Yep, quite right. More than 30l and you need to inform your local Petroleum Enforcement Authority (know as PEA)

....... Andy 

On the basis that you can only fill your tank once and then you have nowhere else to put any additional fuel you buy, (ignoring tw*ts like the one in the photo above), the present shortage should be over soon because the forecourts will have all been restocked and people won’t have used all the extra fuel they bought.

Unless of course there actually is a shortage and the government have been misleading us - as if they would? ^_^

Rgds Ian 

A local fuel wholesale can sell you 1000 litres of white diesel for delivery tomorrow. If you want 5000 litres it’s Friday…..there is no shortage……..well there is , a shortage of governance at the BBC and other media outlets who’s self interest in finding a negative story with which to make a headline show no limits.
Iain

35 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

On the basis that you can only fill your tank once and then you have nowhere else to put any additional fuel you buy, (ignoring tw*ts like the one in the photo above), the present shortage should be over soon because the forecourts will have all been restocked and people won’t have used all the extra fuel they bought.

Unless of course there actually is a shortage and the government have been misleading us - as if they would? ^_^

Rgds Ian 

Logically, yes. There are 38 million cars on UK roads. If the average driver suddenly decided to put say 20 litres more fuel in their tank over the weekend than they normally would, that would require an additional >2,000 tanker loads (assuming 36,000 litre tanker lorries) to fulfil, less whatever capacity the 8,000 or so fuel stations had on hand before the panic.

I don't know what the size of the UK's fuel tanker fleet is, but I suspect 2,000 extra loads in short order is quite a big number especially if there is no spare driver capacity at the moment.

Nigel

3 hours ago, Tim T said:

Yep, absolutely correct!

Got it wrong,! I think that you can only fill 2 No 5 litre containers at one purchase. I was once picked up for it.

1 hour ago, Tim T said:

Got it wrong,! I think that you can only fill 2 No 5 litre containers at one purchase. I was once picked up for it.

Tim

think we were referring to the earlier statement about keeping an amount of petrol. 
not the purchase of ….

https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petrol-storage-club-association.htm

the 30litre guidance is here

46 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Tim

think we were referring to the earlier statement about keeping an amount of petrol. 
not the purchase of ….

https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petrol-storage-club-association.htm

the 30litre guidance is here

You’re correct Hamish. My comment was prompted by the pic of the bloke filling about 6 cans of fuel and then taking then home in his car, now that is surely illegal.?

18 minutes ago, RobH said:

Seen it all now!

33 minutes ago, Tim T said:

You’re correct Hamish. My comment was prompted by the pic of the bloke filling about 6 cans of fuel and then taking then home in his car, now that is surely illegal.?

Yes, you may only fill and transport two portable fuel containers at a time in a passenger car. Should be carried in the boot, not in the passenger compartment otherwise you could be charged (more likely to be warned if not exceeding 30l) with regard to a dangerous load. Two full 20l Jerry cans transported in a passenger vehicle contravene the law.

That said, if we weren’t in this current period of numpty-ness it is very unlikely that anyone (including the police) would be remotely interested.

....... Andy 

Have read that some fuels stations have a maximum purchase of £30. So no problem in topping up with 5/10 litres, which is a classic example of panic buying. The rule should be a minimum purchase of £40 +. Panic buying sorted?

Keep smiling, it will end soon.

Tim