TR4 Check Strap installation

2 minutes ago, pfenlon said:

Greg you have to use heavy handed tactics to remove the old ones and fit the new ones, a tap with a hammer does the Trick.

Thanks pfenlon, I appreciate your response. I was hoping for a nice cushy way. Never mind, hammer it is. 
Greg

They dont need too much effort to remove theyre just a bit tight into the box of the "A" post. Ive just changed a pair and they came out easily.

Stuart.

7 minutes ago, stuart said:

They dont need too much effort to remove theyre just a bit tight into the box of the "A" post. Ive just changed a pair and they came out easily.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I’ve not done this yet, the current one was fitted by a garage but it had to be a bodge job as there were/no right hand check straps available. I’m talking the early type here.  
Greg

3 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

TR4 had two types of check strap.

This one? - Most common as fitted to all TR4A-5-250-6

image.png.a9f561d2e6bcf73190dc28379aae2be9.png

Or this one?  Unique to TR4 early models

image.thumb.png.d8f590faf239fb2c858ea33922cb5286.png

Sadly, it is the latter. The RH side one is as rare as hens teeth at the moment. 
Greg

Ah yes a bit more difficult, presume youve tried all the usual suspects for supply e.g. TR Shop, TR Bitz, Revingtons etc?

Stuart.

Hi Greg,

when I came to fitting these on the TR4 rebuild the originals had no rubber on the strap - odd I thought.

I bought new ones and within one or two door operations the rubber started to pull off the metal strap.

I also found that the design was not as good as it could be - can't remember the exact details but they were totally useless.

I fitted the later versions - needs a little thought.

Roger

12 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Greg,

when I came to fitting these on the TR4 rebuild the originals had no rubber on the strap - odd I thought.

I bought new ones and within one or two door operations the rubber started to pull off the metal strap.

I also found that the design was not as good as it could be - can't remember the exact details but they were totally useless.

I fitted the later versions - needs a little thought.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I thought I’d read somewhere that someone had fitted the new type of check strap, but I could not think where I’d seen it. There is a chap in the USA who is 3D printing the “plastic” part and rollers; though still in the experimental stage. 
Someone said that to use the newer style check strap, the A pillar had to be cut out and the 4A welded in. Is this how you went about it?

Greg 

Hi Greg,

I wouldn't necessarily recommend going the 4A way but it worked for me.

The clip that hte srap jumps over needs to be anchored to a backing plate - see pic.

The plate is attached to the 'A' post. You will end up with some empty screw holes

I think I may have used a Spitfire strap !!!

Roger

DSCF0167.JPG

Edited by RogerH

My car is late TR4 and has what you are calling a 4A strap so I feel lucky there.  I swear if I was stuck with the early 4 variety and had one broken, I’d do something simple like put a leather strap there or something.  I recall one of my MGs had that as the factory solution, a folded leather strap affixed to the A post and the inner door.  It folded nicely and was mostly hidden when door closed.  

1 minute ago, RMP NC said:

My car is late TR4 and has what you are calling a 4A strap so I feel lucky there.  I swear if I was stuck with the early 4 variety and had one broken, I’d do something simple like put a leather strap there or something.  I recall one of my MGs had that as the factory solution, a folded leather strap affixed to the A post and the inner door.  It folded nicely and was mostly hidden when door closed.  

That’s a fair point, I’ve heard of people putting leather onto the metal strap that’s left when the covering of the strap goes awol. Though when mine was taken off for painting the four etc. They binned the metal strap part ☹️