Tr6 wiper wiring, explanation and how to add WashWipe relay.

Hi folks.

i’ve received a request for further explanation of the TR6 wiper wiring, and specifically how to integrate the WashWipe controllers i recently produced.

so here goes !

The TR6 wiper circuit is actually quite sophisticated.

previous TR models just switched the earth side of a one or two speed motor, and had a simple park contact to complete the wipe when the switch was turned off

Not the TR6 though !

for the 6 the positive side of the circuit is switched, and the park circuit included a clever electronic brake to stop the wipe motion dead in the park position.

here’s a diagram i cobbled together from online sources and added my own descriptions :

6BDA3744-2B93-4DE9-93B6-3402A3BBD089.jpeg.6bbbaddf593bb64551c4d43407c5ef62.jpeg

The diagram shows that the Park switch provides 12v to to low speed circuit if the wipers are NOT PARKED, but 0V when they ARE PARKED

this causes the energy stored in the motor windings to collapse and stop the motor dead ( its the same way that the ignition coil works)

this clever circuit also allowed me to utilise the change in polarity of the park circuit to trigger the Intermittent Wipe relay that i produced which should be wired in thus :

DB02E8A8-6195-4670-AA54-8C63AAE6100A.jpeg.a73c83331aa10f74ecc1680eb53bf6ae.jpeg

wiring to the original low speed circuit is intercepted by the unit, thus replacing low speed with intermittent

The park feed from the motor is disconnected from the switch and routed instead to the controller

Fast speed should not be touched and remains unaffected

I hope the above is informative and useful for those messing with TR6 wipers, either with my TRIWW units or otherwise

steve

8 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Hi folks.

i’ve received a request for further explanation of the TR6 wiper wiring, and specifically how to integrate the WashWipe controllers i recently produced.

so here goes !

The TR6 wiper circuit is actually quite sophisticated.

previous TR models just switched the earth side of a one or two speed motor, and had a simple park contact to complete the wipe when the switch was turned off

Not the TR6 though !

for the 6 the positive side of the circuit is switched, and the park circuit included a clever electronic brake to stop the wipe motion dead in the park position.

here’s a diagram i cobbled together from online sources and added my own descriptions :

6BDA3744-2B93-4DE9-93B6-3402A3BBD089.jpeg.6bbbaddf593bb64551c4d43407c5ef62.jpeg

The diagram shows that the Park switch provides 12v to to low speed circuit if the wipers are NOT PARKED, but 0V when they ARE PARKED

this causes the energy stored in the motor windings to collapse and stop the motor dead ( its the same way that the ignition coil works)

this clever circuit also allowed me to utilise the change in polarity of the park circuit to trigger the Intermittent Wipe relay that i produced which should be wired in thus :

DB02E8A8-6195-4670-AA54-8C63AAE6100A.jpeg.a73c83331aa10f74ecc1680eb53bf6ae.jpeg

wiring to the original low speed circuit is intercepted by the unit, thus replacing low speed with intermittent

The park feed from the motor is disconnected from the switch and routed instead to the controller

Fast speed should not be touched and remains unaffected

I hope the above is informative and useful for those messing with TR6 wipers, either with my TRIWW units or otherwise

steve

Steve, what wire on the switch do you connect the  blue washer wire to?

Darren 

2 hours ago, DRD said:

Steve, what wire on the switch do you connect the  blue washer wire to?

Darren 

On a CR car connect to the central Green wire that goes +12v when you press the washers Darren

on a CP car i’m not sure, but you can test to find what wire goes +12v with the washers and thats the one.

steve

25 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

On a CR car connect to the central Green wire that goes +12v when you press the washers Darren

on a CP car i’m not sure, but you can test to find what wire goes +12v with the washers and thats the one.

steve

Thanks Steve

I seem to have 2 wires going to the centre of the switch. One has 2 dark green wires and the other is light green with a thin black line.

PS It's a CR car

Cheers Darren 

9 hours ago, DRD said:

Thanks Steve

I seem to have 2 wires going to the centre of the switch. One has 2 dark green wires and the other is light green with a thin black line.

PS It's a CR car

Cheers Darren 

Hi Darren

the Light Green with Black tracer is the one, thats the feed to the washer pump

Steve

HI STEVE, A little help with the wash wipe relay please. The result i am getting are.   position 1 + off    position 2= intermittent correct,   position 2 press washer = 4x swipe  correct. position 3 = constant fast speed intermittent.  not correct, pics might help hopefully Dan  

P1020415.JPG

P1020414.JPG

P1020411.JPG

On 9/23/2021 at 7:48 PM, cobra said:

HI STEVE, A little help with the wash wipe relay please. The result i am getting are.   position 1 + off    position 2= intermittent correct,   position 2 press washer = 4x swipe  correct. position 3 = constant fast speed intermittent.  not correct, pics might help hopefully Dan  

P1020415.JPG

P1020414.JPG

P1020411.JPG

Hi Steve,

I seem to have the same problem, everything works OK apart from the fast speed which doesn't work? What am I missing?

Darren 

Hi Dan and Darren

not sure what to suggest as the washwipe relay does not touch the fast speed wiring, so shouldnt affect it.

i’ll take a look at my car tomorrow as your wiring colours don’t look right Dan

steve

11 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Hi Dan and Darren

not sure what to suggest as the washwipe relay does not touch the fast speed wiring, so shouldnt affect it.

i’ll take a look at my car tomorrow as your wiring colours don’t look right Dan

steve

Hi Steve - I'll check the fast speed connection tonight but it was definitely connected to the switch. My wiring looks very similar to Dan's though.

Darren

Hi Dan and Darren

i suggest you check the fast wipe in isolation.

the switch terminals are :

1, small spade connection to park switch

2, slow wipe connection

3, 12v ignition switched feed

4, fast wipe connection

in the ‘off’ position the switch  connects park and slow to park the wipers

in the slow position it connects slow and 12v to power slow wipe

in fast it connects 12v and fast for a fast wipe

my relay just interrupts the slow wipe and park, it doesnt touch the fast wiring.

to test the fast wipe just disconnect the fast wire from terminal 4 and connect it to 12v, having lifted the wipers from the screen they should go ‘fast’

good luck!

steve

ps, i tested the units on my cr tr6 and they worked correctly, including fast wipe

6 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Hi Dan and Darren

i suggest you check the fast wipe in isolation.

the switch terminals are :

1, small spade connection to park switch

2, slow wipe connection

3, 12v ignition switched feed

4, fast wipe connection

in the ‘off’ position the switch  connects park and slow to park the wipers

in the slow position it connects slow and 12v to power slow wipe

in fast it connects 12v and fast for a fast wipe

my relay just interrupts the slow wipe and park, it doesnt touch the fast wiring.

to test the fast wipe just disconnect the fast wire from terminal 4 and connect it to 12v, having lifted the wipers from the screen they should go ‘fast’

good luck!

steve

ps, i tested the units on my cr tr6 and they worked correctly, including fast wipe

Good news I managed to get it working, there seemed to be a dodgy connection between the 12v and the fast terminal. Not quite sure why the slow was OK though, 50 year wiring I guess.

1 hour ago, DRD said:

Good news I managed to get it working, there seemed to be a dodgy connection between the 12v and the fast terminal. Not quite sure why the slow was OK though, 50 year wiring I guess.

Great news Darren, i suspect disturbing the wiring to fit the intermittent unit caused it

now you need some light rain to test !

steve

HI STEVE.  not the same result as Darren, checked fast speed isolation all ok,  still getting  intermittent on fast speed . i was hopping to try harry dents relay, but its an option 2 style, you suggested my wiring colours do not look right , how do you mean ?your help would be appreciated. thanks, dan. 

Hi Dan

i did not supply you with one of these units so i do not know for sure which you have.

from the photos it appears to be an SE unit, as it has a blue washer feed connection ( not the thin black of the fe unit)

If so you appear to have connected it correctly , being

Disconnect the brown/green park wire from the first switch contact (small spade) and connect it to the green/yellow wire of the se unit

disconnect the red/green wire from the second switch terminal and connect it to the green wire of the se unit

connect the red wire from the se unit to the now vacant second terminal of the switch

connect the blue wire of the se unit with the light green/black wire in the centre of the switch

connect the black wire from the se unit to a good earth point.

do not touch the blue/green wiring to the fast wipe circuit.

if this is what you have done and fast wipe is not working correctly, then i’m at a loss and can only suggest there is something non-standard with your wiper motor wiring

as i’ve said already the units do not touch the fast speed wiring so it’s impossible for fast to be affected, unless there is something different about your car’s wiring, they are old cars after all !

If you can’t make it work then return it and i’ll refund the original purchaser, whom i assume is Harry ?

steve