Has anybody used one of the bastuck seals. How on earth do you close the gap (see picture below) especially when trying to put the crank into the bearing and seal, there is just no room... 

Also the instructions say use silicon sealer on the outside of the seal which is supposed to stop movement but will probably prevent movement when trying to assemble with the bearing cap and top seal which looks like it snaggs on the sharp edges which again may stop the bearing cap seating properly. 

Thanks again for any suggestions 

1632244496296.jpg

Good morning!

Only to understand, I'm far away to do this:

This lipseal has not the common steel body inside?

Otherwise it would not be possible to get it in position.

And the spring is elastic enough to go over the flange?

Ciao, Marco

Aaaah! Screwed!

This reminds me to the transmission of my steam engine from my childhood!

And the seal without steel reinforcement. I ask myself how this will work because I know them only with steel body.

Thank ou for this info, Andrew.

Edited by Z320
12 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

Don’t forget to make sure that the flywheel bolts don’t protrude from the back of the flange enough to rub on the seal. 

IF this were to happen would it actually come into contact/damage the seal or rub on the housing around it?

35 minutes ago, Nigel C said:

IF this were to happen would it actually come into contact/damage the seal or rub on the housing around it?

They touch the housing if too long.

Stuart.

10 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

I'd forgotten the spring drive transmissions until you mentioned it :D but you're correct, its the same system.

My little steam engine is still present at my office for decoration, but this tiny tools are off.

BTW I had my flywheel off in May for my gearbox project and was TOTALLY surprised to find the engine behind it absolutely and 100% dry!!

I suppose the oil comes (came) from the pushrod tubes.....

How much play do this 2nd hand pistons habe in the liners, are the liners also 2nd hand?

I ask because I futher used my liners and pistons 10 years ago without knowing much about

and perhaps also do that on the old engine I bought some time ago.

Ciao, Marco

Hi all,

next Adrian will fit the cylinder head and my father (worked on MB cars and trucks) gave me this advice when I did that my first time:

"Son, listen, don't slide the head over the cylinder head bolts, because they work like files.

And if there is any coal, rust and crud in the drillings the threds will rasp it out and the crud will fall on you seal.

This can cause you seroius trouble, if you don't notice it! better lay the head on the seal and bolt the studs through the head!"

What did I do? I ignored my fathers adcive and did the job too times.

To remind me the worn seal was a long time in my workshop on a nail on the wall.

I know lots of you slide the head over the studs, and some have problems to get the engine sealed.

Ciao, Marco