Gearbox/overdrive

Sad news,  broke down this evening 170 miles from the iow, been to the Isle of man, festival of motoring had a great time, broke down on the way home, managed to get to the hottel,  the aa are picking me up in the morning so got it all sorted

Symptoms are 1st gear ok reverse gear ok  2nd 3rd and 4th work but sounds like----- when we were kids putting a card on a peg and letting the card rub on thr spokes 

Any sugestions will be gratefully recieved  cheers pink  

2 hours ago, pinky said:

Sad news,  broke down this evening 170 miles from the iow, been to the Isle of man, festival of motoring had a great time, broke down on the way home, managed to get to the hottel,  the aa are picking me up in the morning so got it all sorted

Symptoms are 1st gear ok reverse gear ok  2nd 3rd and 4th work but sounds like----- when we were kids putting a card on a peg and letting the card rub on thr spokes 

Any sugestions will be gratefully recieved  cheers pink  

Bu!!er mate who did the gearbox?

8 hours ago, pinky said:

Thank you for your reply's 

I am at home now,  long day yesterday aa recovery 

This morning have got under the car drained the oil,and removed  overdrive filter no metal, 

However found a hole in the overdrive box 

20210922_090349.jpg

Hi Pinky,

are you suggesting that the hole has caused the problem.

Roger

Tapped and then a Cheese head screw with sealer on into the hole ? That will stand the pressure if the hole makes it to inside.

Mick Richards

On 9/28/2021 at 8:28 PM, SeidelVC69 said:

Dont worry pinky, this is just the end of a drill hole in which a thread is placed for one of the screws for the cover

of the accumulator piston and its spring. Every A-Overdrive main cases have it. There is no connection to the oil. Dieter

Thank you for your reply, I understand, however I can see through the hole, probably a weakness from the drill cutting in close to the casting

Cant explain why this has happened when I'm  haveing the problem, all gears are working and the overdrive 

Cheers pink 

On 9/30/2021 at 8:29 AM, pinky said:

Thank you for your reply, I understand, however I can see through the hole, probably a weakness from the drill cutting in close to the casting

Cant explain why this has happened when I'm  haveing the problem, all gears are working and the overdrive 

Cheers pink 

Sorry I am late to this I have been away. 
I have the same hole in my A type OD. The od and box are an early tr6 version full synchro.

box is fresh back from Pete and Tom cox in this pic.

it’s not a leak point. Don’t know why it’s there though.

5CF24349-343F-432F-B2FF-047DDFD3E69A.jpeg

0D32D7B1-9687-4775-AF4B-4B2C4C8DAF61.jpeg

7C649F04-D864-4128-BC32-AB4AF81C5995.jpeg

Hi Pinky,

I have spoken to Tom (Pete Cox and Son Sports Cars - we did the work on Hamish's unit) and he has informed me this is the end of a long compression bolt for the accumulator. This was drilled like this in the factory many years ago. He has yet to see a leak from this point as it doesn't pass through to the main casing. If you want us to have a look at your unit please let us know. From reading previous comments we believe your layshaft is at fault.

3 hours ago, Bradley said:

Hi Pinky,

I have spoken to Tom (Pete Cox and Son Sports Cars - we did the work on Hamish's unit) and he has informed me this is the end of a long compression bolt for the accumulator. This was drilled like this in the factory many years ago. He has yet to see a leak from this point as it doesn't pass through to the main casing. If you want us to have a look at your unit please let us know. From reading previous comments we believe your layshaft is at fault.

Bradley are you the guy always busy in the background working with Tom and Pete ?

Edited by Hamish
1 hour ago, Bradley said:

I'm in the office

ah the one that keeps everything running smoothly then .........:D