Radio Speaker Positioning

Its Sunday afternoon, peeing with rain, so can play with the TR4, catching up with a myriad of small and large tasks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to mount a pair of Retro-Sound Ultra thin speakers? The radio etc were 2020 Xmas present to Liz (owner of said car) but, for many reasons, not actually fitted yet!

I really don't want to use the easiest position, on rear bulkhead trim panel, as seats will be in the way, as will the hood as whilst the car is a TR4, the previous owner modified the hood to 4A spec. I know that you won't really hear the radio when driving at speed but it seems pointless to have an inbuilt sound reducing system of seats and hood before even starting.

Is there enough free space in the doors, or is it a case of fitting in front footwell?

Any suggestions as always gratefully received

Many thanks in anticipation

Adam

Appreciate you already have these speakers but I am someone who hates to cut holes in doors or foot panels.

I can think of two options:

1) I think they sell a panel kit that is a replacement for the side kick panels but has an opening in it for the speaker.  Not sure how much work to use them in a TR4 but I think they exist.  Rimmer Bros site won't let me in today but a google search finds this on RImmer's.

2) You can buy fully enclosed speaker units you can position anywhere in the rear without having to cut up the car.  I did this in a MG midget and a MGB GT many years ago.  They can be mounted with a couple screws if you don't mind drilling the holes in the rear seat area or you can lay or wedge them somewhere (maybe use velcro tape or something to keep them from moving about) or just lay them in the floor.  I used to just position similar speakers in the back and push them under the seats if I was leaving the car in public and if I was really concerned I'd just take the wires off (took just a minute) and put them in the boot where I could also put the radio, having made myself a fast slide out mechanism for the radio.  Again, this in an MG, not a TR.

Speakers like these are what I'm planing to use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233908876724

That the hood pad hangs down on a TR4, covering the rear panel makes using that not an option really.  If it was a 4A you could make a custom rear panel maybe or cut into one if you had a spare.

Am sure people have done creative things.

Hi Adam,

see items #51 & 52  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/interior/cockpit-fittings/interior-trim-kits-tr5-tr250-tr6-to-c-cp-cc50000-1967-69.html    as used on TR5 & 6.

They may work. 

Some folk fit them in the outer footwell panels (the metal panel not just the upholstery panel.)

The doors have no space to fit them.

I fitted a pair of speakers in cardboard tubes - the ones that carpet is wrapped around - 6" diameter. These are suspended in the roof of the footwell left and right

Roger

Hi

A friend made some bespoke speaker panels from thin ply and covered with foam and vinyl  for his TR6 similar to the ones you can buy that fit around the H frame  I asked him to make some similar  for my 4a to accommodate some 4 x 6 oval speakers look and sound great, however mine has the backlight and tin lid fitted!   

Chris 

Hi,

You can fit them in the doors but you are limited on speaker size, fit them in the space just forward and above the window winder where the door is widest, you do have to make holes in both the door card and the inner panel of the door, fit sound deadening material on the inside face of the outer panel and wrap your ears around the superb bass response created by this location, ...... your thin speakers seem to me they are made for this location unless they are over 6 inches in diameter.

Cheers Rob

I added a bluetooth transmitter to the output of the radio Ireadily available), got rid of old speakers, and just used a bluetooth speaker with volume control, that could be put anywhere - empty seat, footwell  etc,  and removed  or locked away when not used.

Dave

23 hours ago, dpb said:

I added a bluetooth transmitter to the output of the radio Ireadily available), got rid of old speakers, and just used a bluetooth speaker with volume control, that could be put anywhere - empty seat, footwell  etc,  and removed  or locked away when not used.

Dave

Hi Dave 

really interested in your solution, any clues as to supplier ,type, cost?

John.

Hello John,

I just checked my archive messages and found this from 2019:-

"I bought a small wi-fi transmitter that plugs in to the amp output (or line-out as it used to be called I think), and a small Bluetooth speaker with volume control.   Radio now plays over the Bluetooth speaker,   and I can pick that speaker up and use it with other devices as needed. Total cost only about £60. "

From memory, you need a volume control on the speaker because the volume  on the radio line-out does not respond to the radio controls.  For the wi-fi transmitter I did a search on google.

Dave

Just found the bluetooth/wi-fi transmitter packing box.  from a company called av:link,   www.avsl.com, probably via amazon or somesuch.  cost £15.99 in 2019, seems to have a stock code of sku 110272.  Probably replaced by something else now though.

Dave

===

And just found it on the avsl website    stock nr there 100.595UK,  now discontinued but replaced with 100.596UK. Looks like it does the same job.

Dave